Stripers

jednorris

Button Buck
I travel to the Outer Banks each fall in hopes the Striper might migrate down in Nov., Dec. or Jan. but they have not the last four years. Is there any hope this year? I tried Rudee Inlet in Virginia and they no longer even advertise Striper trips. Even Chesapeake Bay charter boats do not brag about big fish in the fall anymore, does anyone have any hope of change?.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Not much is gonna change until the east coast gets a string of back to back good spawns. It takes a handful of environmental conditions to line up and fall into place for that to happen. Some years it's not enough water flow in the spawning tributaries and others it's too much flow for a successful spawn. Add liberal harvest limits into the mix and you are seeing the results. There are still a lot of big stripers off of our coast in the winter months, they just stay in the EEZ where you can't intentionally target em or keep em without violating federal law.

Brianczaw

Not much is gonna change until the east coast gets a string of back to back good spawns. It takes a handful of environmental conditions to line up and fall into place for that to happen. Some years it's not enough water flow in the spawning tributaries and others it's too much flow for a successful spawn. Add liberal harvest limits into the mix and you are seeing the results. There are still a lot of big stripers off of our coast in the winter months, they just stay in the EEZ where you can't intentionally target em or keep em without violating federal law.

I agree Darenative. Being from Baltimore, I see plenty of 36" to 50" Rockfish in the Spring being cleaned on the docks that are full of roe. I wish the Trophy season up here would start just a week or two later to let these cows let their eggs go.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Tends to be when the weather gets really cold! I used to go down every year in December to surf fish and fished for em out of OI on New Years day, lots of fish around. Not anymore, it's been years since its been good. Maybe this season but if it doesn't cool off it isn't going to happen.