Is it too late?

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
September 23. Is it too late to plant a fall plot Eastern North Carolina and no prep has been done thus far?

Second question if I spray herbicide now will it provide an opportunity for frost seeding clover in February or March?

Thanks for any insight.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plenty of time for most grains and crimson clover that will be used as an annual, especially in your area.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I planted 125lbs oats, 5lb ladino clover, 3lb chicory, 5lb purple tops, 3lb daikon radish today. Ground was a logging deck that had been too hard to prep. Probably an acre and a bit. Only had access with four wheeler due to road erosion. Hoping some of it will come up. Rough ground.
f203034b218d3161311d1ba1d201e80f.jpg

cf2a3bd0913dc9c3060cd53715611f66.jpg

c7956ddae68039f32b4d6134027fdcd6.jpg

829ce48c3d4470df8b84cd971cf5c062.jpg

9a28f6d8bfab962d89c4d7250dbced35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I would just Disc it. If you spray it, you are going to have to wait for it die putting you even later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbksmom

Banned
If your grass is taller than 6 inches mow it down first, then disc in different directions to get soil lose. Rake it like BASSFAN07 did, sow out oats first, then drag rake over that, fertilize, pack down to get rough dirt and air pockets out. Then sow your clover, turnip, rape, kale, radish etc. small seed. If you don't pack that soil those little seeds will go in too deep and barely produce wasting time and money. This weekend will still work good, rain in the forecast for Monday/Tuesday. Good luck.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Hope it's not to late because it will probably be next week before I can plant due to all the rain from this week.

heavybeamz

Just put in some oats + clover last week myself. Little greenies are popping up all over the place!

country

Ten Pointer
For clover you are running to the end of planting time. For grains like wheat and oats lot's of time left to plant.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I planted a small fire lane in white clover and chicory today, hopefully it comes up well.
Checked my old clover plot and it looks really thin, I'm thinking all that rain we had flooded the area and that's why it looked like it did.
I'll check it again in a couple weeks.