I got a present!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Came in from hunting deer last night in the back yard. GoodWife had gotten me a present. A shiny spanky bright 1000 Watt, Sunmile G73 meat grinder with coarse, med and fine plates and sausage stuffer. Its lovely! Can't wait to run a deer through it, do be lovin some venison ground with pork!

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Congrats.

A request. After you give it a good test, please post a review. (you tend to be thorough/good at this game)

This grinder came up in a discussion recently by a club member. None of us had used one.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That brand has been good in our household. The parts are not dishwasher safe from my experience. Yours may be different.

Have two at the house. Had to pick up the second just to get the parts.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Sharps: First of all congratulations. But I must add it ain't so until photos and you provide a demonstration, preferably on one of the deer I plan to kill. LOL.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I know. I'll do photos and grind a deer with it soon. Savin it for the real deal. Tomorrow evening, perhaps that one I jumped last night will come out in front of my bow. She's a wily old old old old doe and has busted me at least once a year for 6 years in my back yard. (I nicked her with an arrow once, she's looked for me ever since!) I'll get her one of these days. But for now, I unpacked the grinder and here are the first impressions.

Its a stainless body. 1000 watts. On, Off, Forward and reverse. Automatic shut off feature if it gets overloaded and strains the motor too much. That should make it goof free till I get a feel for how much it wants to have pushed through it at a time. Test run indicates Motor to be single speed.

Sausage tubes are light plastic. Stuffer is plastic. No worries, that stuff is dish washer save. Some use will see if its too light a plastic in the tubes and stuffer. But I think short of steppin on them, they'll hold up.

Like all these grinders, the gears inside are plastic. Metal gears and yer prolly into a $500+ unit. No complaints on the many good reviews on Amazon about the gears. I don't expect this one to be able to take a huge chunk at a time and I know its always best to cut the meat cold into strips for best feeding and grinding. I used an attachment to the Sisters blender last year to grind 50 lbs of venison burger and I think this one will do just as well, if not a bit faster.

The meat tray, the meat tube, the meat auger and the screw on cap that holds the auger/cutter/plate arrangement in place are all aluminum. As such, they are NOT dishwasher safe. Put aluminum in the dishwasher and in short order it'll be oxidized and you won't be able to get it sterilized and it won't be smooth inside either. No worries, its all big enough and easy enough to hand wash with hot soapy water and a stiff brush.

The cutter and the fine/medium and coarse grinding plates are stainless steel. Dishwasher safe here. The cutter plates look to be well machined and planished flat so I expect them to fit well and grind well. The four blade cutter is stainless. Edges are sharp and though the flat surface has some milling marks left from final machining, it looks like it rests flat on the plates and should grind well. The central shaft of the aluminum auger insert is steel. The square drive seems to fit the cutter well, but it is subject to rusting a bit....so I know the drive shaft is carbon vice stainless steel. Shouldn't be a problem, after the auger is clean and dry, lube it with a dollop of vegetable oil and it should stay clean in storage.

Over all, I think the grinder will be fine for processing my several deer each year and use throughout the year to make our own beef and poultry burger. If you are into Raw feed for dogs, I can say with some confidence, this is not a bone grinder. The plastic gears and aluminum auger/tube are not going to take that kind of abuse. I think with care this should do fine for several years around the house with regular use during hunting and probably monthly use for making our own burger/sausage from store bought meat. I can't say yet how it'd work for a club. Once I run it and see how fast and how much load and whether it looks like it can run continuous for several deer, I'll be able to render a better opinion. For now, I'd say, its probably a good high low end unit for the home but probably not a medium unit for a club since the internal gearing is plastic, and as such, prolly not as strong or long lived under the heavy use and abuse and possibly neglect that a club unit would see.

I'm looking forward to trying it out and gotta get some sausage recipes coming in as that is something I have always wanted to do.

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
One further thought. The sausage grinding tube cam locks to the body of the grinder. The grinding tube is aluminum and the attachment point on the body is plastic. So.....my thoughts, it keeps this on out of the middle of the road grinder category. I suspect if you push down too awful hard or try to lift the unit with a hand under the grinding tube, the weak spot is the metal to plastic attachment point. We shall see. I suppose most are made like this but like a car, metal to plastic joints do wear out faster than metal to metal joints.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like it will work and from experience I think you are going to enjoy doing your own processing of your venison. I know I do, especially when the weather is to miserable to be outside.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Kind of present I like...useful(stepdaughter still doesn't get a useful gift). A friend's father has one that there is no telling how old it is. They have been making sausage and liver pudding for years. Also make souse meat and render their own lard. The lard is supposed to make killer bisuits. This is one we use to make our deer sausage. May have to mention this to my wife. Think you are going to enjoy it. And good luck bow hunting...safely.

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Started trimming 4 deer yesterday morning at 9 AM. Finished up turning about 2.5 of them into burger about 1630. Most of the time spent getting the meat clean and trimmed and cut and wrapped.

But the grinder is awesome. Especially as GoodWife picked it up new for $40.

Thoughts:

The grinding attachment wobbles a bit but works fine. I suppose this is because the mounting point is plastic and as such ain't as stiff as one with an all steel body on the motor housing. No worries though.

Its loud. Might want ear plugs in a small area. It feeds great. Has one speed and reverse. Basically it feeds strips of meat about as fast as I can put them in. I put the meat strips, about 1.5x1.5 inch thick into the freezer for 15 minutes to stiffen them up and ran it all through the course plate first.

After which, I ran the chilled again course ground through the medium plate. Good burger. I think the medium and/or fine plate would make a good plate for blending the med ground venison with fat or spices or other meat later. The fine especially if ya want a fine grained sausage or patty.

I never had to reverse the motor and though some of the 2x2 strips did make it grunt just slightly, it ran along without a hitch. Its easy to clean by hand, since many of the parts are aluminum and can't go in the dish washer. I did not run the motor long enough for it to get hot. Simply processed two quarters at a time, about two large bowls of cut meat making 20 to 25 lbs of burger in a pass. This was all I could handle at a time, working alone and not have the meat get warm. I like it to stay cool throughout the processing time from trimming to packaging.

I used veg oil to lube the axle shafts on assembly and at each clean out. Basically, I cleaned it between each two large bowls of grind and at each switch from coarse to medium plate.

It takes less than 15 minutes to convert two large rear quarters from meat to medium ground burger using a double grind of coarse first and medium second.

Six front shoulders also took about 15 to 20 minutes to process twice.

Clean up was a breeze. I packed up all the burger for freezing in 2 lb packages and am quite happy. A big bag each to help family with lots of hardy meals of burgers, spaghetti, chili, meat loaf, Hamburger Mac, whatever.

I'm quite pleased with the grinder and given the about $80 price on Amazon would buy it again.

Time to figger out some recipes for sausage and brats and stuff. Perhaps even grind some of the venision through the fine plate and see how close it comes to an emulsion for trying to make a deer hotdog.

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I have a grinder I got from Northern Tool, and I love it. The sausage stuffers are a bit of a pain, because like you said, metal on plastic.

Each time you clean it, coat the grinding plates with vegetable oil to prevent rust.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
Started trimming 4 deer yesterday morning at 9 AM. Finished up turning about 2.5 of them into burger about 1630. Most of the time spent getting the meat clean and trimmed and cut and wrapped.

But the grinder is awesome. Especially as GoodWife picked it up new for $40.

Thoughts:

The grinding attachment wobbles a bit but works fine. I suppose this is because the mounting point is plastic and as such ain't as stiff as one with an all steel body on the motor housing. No worries though.

Its loud. Might want ear plugs in a small area. It feeds great. Has one speed and reverse. Basically it feeds strips of meat about as fast as I can put them in. I put the meat strips, about 1.5x1.5 inch thick into the freezer for 15 minutes to stiffen them up and ran it all through the course plate first.

After which, I ran the chilled again course ground through the medium plate. Good burger. I think the medium and/or fine plate would make a good plate for blending the med ground venison with fat or spices or other meat later. The fine especially if ya want a fine grained sausage or patty.

I never had to reverse the motor and though some of the 2x2 strips did make it grunt just slightly, it ran along without a hitch. Its easy to clean by hand, since many of the parts are aluminum and can't go in the dish washer. I did not run the motor long enough for it to get hot. Simply processed two quarters at a time, about two large bowls of cut meat making 20 to 25 lbs of burger in a pass. This was all I could handle at a time, working alone and not have the meat get warm. I like it to stay cool throughout the processing time from trimming to packaging.

I used veg oil to lube the axle shafts on assembly and at each clean out. Basically, I cleaned it between each two large bowls of grind and at each switch from coarse to medium plate.

It takes less than 15 minutes to convert two large rear quarters from meat to medium ground burger using a double grind of coarse first and medium second.

Six front shoulders also took about 15 to 20 minutes to process twice.

Clean up was a breeze. I packed up all the burger for freezing in 2 lb packages and am quite happy. A big bag each to help family with lots of hardy meals of burgers, spaghetti, chili, meat loaf, Hamburger Mac, whatever.

I'm quite pleased with the grinder and given the about $80 price on Amazon would buy it again.

Time to figger out some recipes for sausage and brats and stuff. Perhaps even grind some of the venision through the fine plate and see how close it comes to an emulsion for trying to make a deer hotdog.

Go to the sausage maker online and you can find everything you need for sausages of more types than I knew were possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Update. Finished grinding low country swamp goats tonight.

Other than a large quarter I kept for roasts off an early season doe and the tenderloins and backstraps from all, this grinder has easily and quickly chopped its way through seven deer worth of burger....coarse and medium plate for each batch. Havn't used the fine plate yet....might run a batch through it to see if it makes something close to super fine or even like an emulsion for hot dogs.

Its easy to clean. Cutter and plates go in the dishwasher as they are stainless steel. All the rest of the parts clean easily in the sink with hot water and dawn as they are aluminum and plastic.

I would say, not counting the trimming and getting ready time....maybe 20 minutes to grind 3 quarters worth of meat through the coarse and then medium plates. That includes cleaning between to clear the cutter of any buildup and wash out the holes in the plates.

I'm very pleased and can recommend this grinder as a good low production unit for the feller that wants to grind some deer each season.

Once the season is over we'll start making our own beef burger and ground pork....sausages and brats too. Looking forward to wearin this grinder out!

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I had an amazon grinder for a couple years, don't remember brand. The thing was a grinding machine, the electrical switch broke and I fixed it. It just couldn't hang with the deer and wild hogs I put through it. Wife got me one from bass pro on sale for Christmas. A little pricey, but that thing will scream. Even with the more expensive grinders the tubes are plastic and got to be handled gently. Wish my parts were dishwasher safe. I always coat mine with oil before use and after washing.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah. I use vegetable oil on the bearing points of the auger. Butcher told me that. Wife and I figger if it lasts a solid year or two it was a fine purchase. I wasn't sure how a low end grinder would be for ease of use and reliability but so far, no worries.