Who's got their video camera ready?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Took an opportunity to get to the lease and out out some cameras and what not. After 10 minutes of casually milling around my stand, I find a good spot for bait and a camera. I grab my backpack with cameras in it and throw the rest over my shoulder and take a slightly different path into the spot.

Halfway there, my ankle Lights up!!! Then my hand. I still didn't understand until I looked down and my foot was COVERED in yellow jackets!!!! I dropped ALL of my stuff right there and hightailed it attempting to hurdle the triple strand electric fence :mad:

All my stuff is still lying there :mad:. Wth do I do now?

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Ouch, that sounds painful. I would be planning an O' dark thirty retrieval of the stuff

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you get the chance to get a picture of you hurdling that fence? Maybe?
That would be priceless 😂

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I was just gonna sprint through grabbing stuff along the way, but I was told to move slowly instead. Is there anything I can distract them with that they would fly to while I grab my stuff?

Waiting until dark is not an option.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Agitated yellow jackets.... A nuke to the nest area might work.

Would not even get near them with 3 layers of clothing and a full bee suit.

I hate them things ever since stumbling into a nest when I was 8 years old.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Give them time to calm down (30 minutes or so).

If you know exactly where they came from (out of the ground) just avoid that spot.

If not. Just walk slowly and look before you put your foot down each time.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I was just gonna sprint through grabbing stuff along the way, but I was told to move slowly instead. Is there anything I can distract them with that they would fly to while I grab my stuff?

Might not be an option, but it is the least painful option...

Move slow, eyes wide.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I ran onto a nest with a tractor once. Jumped and ran. Waited until dark , no problem. Tractor was still idling.

If you can't wait until dark, can you find someone else to pay to get the stuff?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

run in there and scoop it up in a flash. no issue for someone hurdling fences.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I went and bought a cheap thick jacket. Trying to build up the nerve to do this.a nnnnnd bow thunder is rumbling. :mad:

FYI, this is the same spot I got covered in poison ivy.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Just go back and get it just watch where you step...you have to be right on them before they'll get you.

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Yellow jackets WILL NOT sting goats. For whatever reason they just don't sting them. They say it's the baaaaaaing sounds that calm the hive and prevent the yellow jackets from releasing their attack pheromones. Walk slow and give a steady cadence. It works.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Yellow jackets WILL NOT sting goats. For whatever reason they just don't sting them. They say it's the baaaaaaing sounds that calm the hive and prevent the yellow jackets from releasing their attack pheromones. Walk slow and give a steady cadence. It works.

I'll go to my grave laughing at that mental picture..........tears are flowing as I type this.....

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Glad I didn't read spoons advice till I got out.

That was pretty intense! Sweating like I'm in a sauna, heart beat was racing like Im watching a huge buck approach, and I went about 15 yards in 15 minutes. And the thunder getting louder and closer, then the hail!!!!

Only saw one yellow jacket. Got all my stuff back!!!

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Funnier than the mystery meat... ;) glad they didn't get you the second time. I hate those little suckers.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
You should have a GoPro surgically placed on your body so that it can be seen. You could make millions with your own reality TV show.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Anytime I walk in the woods before a good hard frost, I go slow and look ahead. Look for insects in vertical flight. That will clue you in. I have an uncanny ability to spot yellow jackets nests, sometimes at great distances, just by doing this. I've been stung enough by those bastards.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Anytime I walk in the woods before a good hard frost, I go slow and look ahead. Look for insects in vertical flight. That will clue you in. I have an uncanny ability to spot yellow jackets nests, sometimes at great distances, just by doing this. I've been stung enough by those bastards.

Yep. Always look for vertical flight. I can't see the broad side of bull's :donk:donk:donk but I can spot a yellow jacket nest from 100 miles in the dark in pea soup fog.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Dang State it pains me to see just how little you know about the outdoors.

Yellow Jackets: Cure and Remedy. First you have to catch a skunk. That's easy but requires technique. You have to sneak up behind it, grab it's tail and hold it's tail down. In that position it cannot dispense it's spray. Word of caution though, it also has teeth and doesn't really like having it's tail held down.

Secondly: Take the skunk to the yellow jackets nest. You must make sure the skunk knows there is a yellow jacket's nest and exactly where the hole is. Hold the skunk there for a few seconds and then release it. Skunks love the yellow jackets larvae better than anything else and will immediately dive into the task of digging out the nest.

Best for you to step back a ways while the skunk does it's work cause the yellow jackets don't really appreciate being disturbed by the skunk. Perhaps it could be the smell or maybe just the fact that they don't like their home being invaded.

After the skunk finishes be sure to praise it for such a good job.

You're welcome.

BTW you might want to video the entire sequence, I'm sure those of us on the forum would enjoy your educational video.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
And here I was thinking I really need to go on that ML hunt this year.....or least I was....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Took an opportunity to get to the lease and out out some cameras and what not. After 10 minutes of casually milling around my stand, I find a good spot for bait and a camera. I grab my backpack with cameras in it and throw the rest over my shoulder and take a slightly different path into the spot.

Halfway there, my ankle Lights up!!! Then my hand. I still didn't understand until I looked down and my foot was COVERED in yellow jackets!!!! I dropped ALL of my stuff right there and hightailed it attempting to hurdle the triple strand

All my stuff is still lying there :mad:. Wth do I do now?

Did you light up your boys when you jumped the fence?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Actually LarryR,

The landowner told me he knew where a skunk hung out under an old barn, and offerend to lend me a trap to try to catch it and then release it near the yellow jacket nest. I declined.

I don't recall getting lit up by the fence at all. I think it was off. I do remember NOT hurdling it. I know I had enough speed going, but I didn't trust my vertical leaping ability.

I hope I shoot a NICE one out of this stand given all the trouble I've gone through and haven't even hunted it yet!

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Dang State it pains me to see just how little you know about the outdoors.

Yellow Jackets: Cure and Remedy. First you have to catch a skunk. That's easy but requires technique. You have to sneak up behind it, grab it's tail and hold it's tail down. In that position it cannot dispense it's spray. Word of caution though, it also has teeth and doesn't really like having it's tail held down.

Secondly: Take the skunk to the yellow jackets nest. You must make sure the skunk knows there is a yellow jacket's nest and exactly where the hole is. Hold the skunk there for a few seconds and then release it. Skunks love the yellow jackets larvae better than anything else and will immediately dive into the task of digging out the nest.

Best for you to step back a ways while the skunk does it's work cause the yellow jackets don't really appreciate being disturbed by the skunk. Perhaps it could be the smell or maybe just the fact that they don't like their home being invaded.

After the skunk finishes be sure to praise it for such a good job.

You're welcome.

BTW you might want to video the entire sequence, I'm sure those of us on the forum would enjoy your educational video.

I would pay money to see tbis take place. I volunteer my servicesto do the recording. I do have to maintain rights to the film though. :greenjump:

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
If anyone should be wearing a bodycam in this world....it is you!! Lol another awesome read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk