Oats

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Any difference between feed oats and forage/seed oats?

Also, any suggestions on where to buy winter wheat seed in Raleigh?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No. Supposedly seed that isn't certified (feed) has a slightly lower germination rate, but not by much. As long as it is this years seed.

As far as the difference between high dollar forage oats and plain oats, I don't think there's a bit of difference at 6" tall when the deer are eating it. I've planted both, but use regular seed oats (Brooks, Rogers) now at $12-13/bag. If all I could find was feed oats, I'd plant those without question.

Last edited:

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Feed oats aren't tested for germination. I think there's no difference between certified seed and forage oats except price and deer pic on the bag. If you plant any oats, they're going to come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plant a mix of oats, wheat and rye as a pure stand, and as a nurse crop for brassicas and clovers. I buy from a mom and pop feed store where they can tell me if its this years seed or not. Never had an issue with germination, just need a little rain for them to put down roots. This year, I went out after the tropical storm here in New Hanover county and spread my seed, cultipacked, and got great germination without any rain afterwards.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
30 bucks for 50lb is steep but its all i could find a month ago. Planted this and crimson clover a week ago and got 4" of rain the last 3 days so its coming up aces.
a1d8eecb104147a4c84e3af5784f221e.jpg

8facce80a96514c696cedd849521c528.jpg

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Next year try and get Brooks Oats. 50 pounds for 14.50 at most farm seed / fertilizer stores

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
30 bucks for 50lb is steep but its all i could find a month ago. Planted this and crimson clover a week ago and got 4" of rain the last 3 days so its coming up aces.
a1d8eecb104147a4c84e3af5784f221e.jpg

8facce80a96514c696cedd849521c528.jpg

could you take some up close pics of the clover showing your germination? Id like to see how it compares to my poor man plot in poor soil

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
could you take some up close pics of the clover showing your germination? Id like to see how it compares to my poor man plot in poor soil
Its coming up good. After the monsoon I will snap a pic. Looks like i had somw washout of the oats but the clover is coming in strong.

This was the only bag of oats I could find in september at Southern States, since TSC likes to sell mostly ryegrass and clover mixtures.

Next year I am ordering grain online off Amazon

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its coming up good. After the monsoon I will snap a pic. Looks like i had somw washout of the oats but the clover is coming in strong.

This was the only bag of oats I could find in september at Southern States, since TSC likes to sell mostly ryegrass and clover mixtures.

Next year I am ordering grain online off Amazon
The feed oats at TSC is in with the horse feed in my area. I just bought some, $13.50 a bag for 50 pounds. They had Bioplot Green Patch plus on clearance too plus the guy ripped my bag and gave me another $5.00 off the price. Once in awhile a fella gets lucky at TSC, but most of the time they get you.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The feed oats at TSC is in with the horse feed in my area. I just bought some, $13.50 a bag for 50 pounds. They had Bioplot Green Patch plus on clearance too plus the guy ripped my bag and gave me another $5.00 off the price. Once in awhile a fella gets lucky at TSC, but most of the time they get you.

They had the deal of the century up in Martinsville. 2 8GB memory cards for 49.50. lol

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wow..sounds like they need to do some price checking...those must hunt your deer and take their picture for you.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Feed oats aren't tested for germination. I think there's no difference between certified seed and forage oats except price and deer pic on the bag. If you plant any oats, they're going to come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Certified seed the germination has been checked, they have been cleaned and guaranteed to be free of noxious weed seeds set forth by the NCDA. Feed grain hasn't been cleaned and may have some weed seeds, and of course as stated no germination check.