Puppy worming and vaccines

PWR-WGN

At what age do you guys start worming and vaccinations on puppies. Also, are you using over the counter or something you get from the vet?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Told you in a post the other day to start at 2 weeks with Nemex2 at 2 week intervals and continue to 4 mos. Or buy a pint of Pyrantel Paomate it is same thing. Start vaccines soon as they are off their mother. Give them every 3 weeks to you have given at least 3.

I order mine from a reputable vet supply (shots) with additional cold packs.

Last edited:

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Told you in a post the other day to start at 2 weeks with Nemex2 at 2 week intervals and continue to 4 mos. Or buy a pint of Pyrantel Paomate it is same thing. Start vaccines soon as they are off their mother. Give them every 3 weeks to you have given at least 3.

I order mine from a reputable vet supply (shots) with additional cold packs.

Agree with this. I would be cautious with OTC shots, no telling how they were shipped. If they aren't kept refrigerated they are pretty much worthless.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Recon has gotten all 3 series of his vaccines (3 week intervals). Have to wait a few weeks for his rabies. He had worms, but one pill from the vet took care of it within a couple days. Wasn't cheap, but it worked. But my friend who raises Brittanys uses OTC wormer from Tractor supply with good success. I just don't have one close to me....

Last edited:

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
The vaccine recommendations above (I assume you are talking about the distemper combo) is correct. I recommend starting at 8 weeks, and then every 3-4 weeks afterward, until about 16 weeks. I give rabies between 12 and 16 weeks. Another vaccine to consider, if these are hunting dogs, is leptospirosis. It's a bacterial disease that can damage the kidneys and liver. It's preventable by a 2 vaccine series. The treatment is really tough, and I never saw a dog recover from it at school. I usually recommend it be done along with the last two distemper shots. Deworming is a good idea with each vaccine event. Keep in mind that you may not see actual worms. Your vet can run a fecal exam to look for eggs, and you'll probably get a three day treatment of dewormer. Once you get your dog on a heartworm medication, such as Heartgard, the bulk of intestinal worms will go away.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I give the lepto vaccine. I have never had a dog get it here but had two dogs being hunted in Illinois that contracted it. It is a terrible disease and I started vaccinating my dogs for it after that.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I worm at 2 weeks then every weeks until 5 weeks with Pyrantel Paomate, then every other week until 9 weeks then every month until a few months old alternating a pyrantel paomate and fenbendazole wormer.

Shots: 5-way(Parvo, Distemper) at 6, 9, 12 weeks then 9-way(Lepto) around 16 to 18 weeks. I order my shots from Jeffers in cooler with extra cold packs never had a problem with shots.

Vet: Rabies @ 4 months.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I bought my vaccines from Tractor supply, except for the rabies from the vet. For flea and tick my Fiance ordered them from an online vet pharmacy, frontline and heartguard.

treestock

Four Pointer
All of the above. Nemex or pyran early and often. 5-7-9 whatever ways you prescribe to in a series of three spaced out a few weeks apart to make sure the vaccine takes. Rabies between two to four months by a vet. Lepto, bordetella, whichever individual vaccines you decide or afford after that for extra precautionary measure. I just go with three rounds of 7 way. A good worm regiment and the state required rabies by a licensed vet

PWR-WGN

I am about to order the first set of shots for the pups. Is there a particular brand of shots that you guys prefer over the others or will any work just as well.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am about to order the first set of shots for the pups. Is there a particular brand of shots that you guys prefer over the others or will any work just as well.
Just make sure you don't give them 8-9 way shots if it is their first shots. I am assuming they are around 6 weeks old. Try to get 5 way if possible, many pups seem to be allergic to the carrier to the 8 and 9 way shots at an early age.

After the first round then you can step up to the 7-8 or 9 way usually with no issues. I used Fort Dodge for years but they are no longer available. I use Nobivac now.