Best place for a good used tractor $3000

partspimp

Old Mossy Horns
I want a tractor, will have $3000 to spend. Outward appearance is not important, solid mechanics is desired...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I want a tractor, will have $3000 to spend. Outward appearance is not important, solid mechanics is desired...
You can find one that has been used real good for that, but finding a good one may be another issue. What size or what do you intend to do with it would be helpful? I am guessing you need something with live power so that using a bush hog would be much easier?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would say you are buying a problem with that budget. They are out there...but depends on your needs.

partspimp

Old Mossy Horns
You can find one that has been used real good for that, but finding a good one may be another issue. What size or what do you intend to do with it would be helpful? I am guessing you need something with live power so that using a bush hog would be much easier?

Yes just looking for one to power a bush hog and maybe a small disc.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Several on Craigslist. Around 30 hp, gas. Couple look nice.
Search tractors in the farm section, set max price to 4000, don't be afraid to make a low offer.

rustvyper

Ten Pointer
My suggestion is to get a long 360, 445 or 460.
They are Romanian (UTB) tractors that were sold out of Tarboro through the 80s.
No one buys them so they are dirt cheap, but they are awesome tractors!
Easy to maintain, simple & reliable.
Because we're close to their import base there are plenty of parts available too.
If you're not in a hurry you should easily be able to get a long for $3k.

Alternatively, I've also got a ford 8n, 5ft bushog & 20 blade disc harrow that I'll have for sale soon for $3k.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My suggestion is to get a long 360, 445 or 460.
They are Romanian (UTB) tractors that were sold out of Tarboro through the 80s.
No one buys them so they are dirt cheap, but they are awesome tractors!
Easy to maintain, simple & reliable.
Because we're close to their import base there are plenty of parts available too.
If you're not in a hurry you should easily be able to get a long for $3k.

Alternatively, I've also got a ford 8n, 5ft bushog & 20 blade disc harrow that I'll have for sale soon for $3k.
The Longs were actually pretty good tractors for the money. The smaller ones other than the sheet metal were identical to Oliver AC and White for several years. A very few years they made a couple big ones that MF put their colors on but that didn't work so well. Up to 60 hp they are tough if you treat them just half decent.

perry

Old Mossy Horns
I would check around on craigslist and also ask around to some people you know a lot of people still don't use craigslist and there are some deals out there.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Long came to mind for me as well. I think one would fit your needs.

I don't put them in the same category as ford 3000s or some of the other known good tractors, but they are certainly decent and in the budget.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Look at YanMar, Mitsubishi, Belarus, Zitor and other non traditional tractors too. They can do a great job and sometimes can be had for a song.