NCH&F swan hunt

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've had several requests to do the NCH&F swan hunt again, so here goes.

Members as of this date: We will do a swan hunt on MLK day (January 16,2017) with lodging available on Sunday (1/15/17) for a combined rate of $150/gun. Anyone interested, please PM me. Just a FYI, I'm pretty sure that the grills will be fired up for dinner on Sunday :D.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
We can't wait!

Also, any tips on stuff we need to bring, as I have never hunted any type of waterfowl before..

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

WakeHunter32

Eight Pointer
Pretty mad I didn't get drawn this year. Had a blast the last couple years down there. Good luck to everyone and have fun!

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Bumping back up! Can't wait to take out a swan!

Buy a box of #2 hevishot. Expensive as crap but you will think me later. If you are a half way decent wing shooter it will only take a few shots.good thing cause the hevishot isnt cheap for 10shells but well worth it.

Last time I only shot once.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Buy a box of #2 hevishot. Expensive as crap but you will think me later. If you are a half way decent wing shooter it will only take a few shots.good thing cause the hevishot isnt cheap for 10shells but well worth it.

My cousin, and fellow member, will have a shotgun...I'll be carrying my recurve. :)

Helium

Old Mossy Horns

Also, T size steel shot will work. Bring waders or rubber boots as the hunters will usually take cover in irrigation ditches. Other than that bring a facenet or facepaint to keep birds from flaring

Oh..I almost forgot!if youve truly never been before plan on tsking videos and pics of the flying tarantasoras birds..aka swans

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Also, T size steel shot will work. Bring waders or rubber boots as the hunters will usually take cover in irrigation ditches. Other than that bring a facenet or facepaint to keep birds from flaring

Oh..I almost forgot!if youve truly never been before plan on tsking videos and pics of the flying tarantasoras birds..aka swans

Look forward to meeting some new folks and fellowshipping with friends

ridenismo

Six Pointer
What arrows do you carry to kill a swan with a bow? Because the thought of a swan with a bow just pushed all the right buttons in my head. Mike, what kind of shots can we expect on these swans, as ive never hunted swans before.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Mike said regular arrows for best penetration and fixed broadheads

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
With the back of the arrowed wrapped or painted bright colors and bright fletching. To find easy in the field

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
I bought a box of Kent Fast steel "T" and had no problem taking down those big birds. No need to buy those expensive boxes of shells!

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
For those that want to try it with a bow, use standard arrows with sharp broadheads. Make sure arrows are marked with bright (preferably florescent) cresting. Most shots are well within 20 yards if you're patient.

Chest waders are a must. Ditches are deep and full of water.

I'll fire the grill up on Sunday afternoon. Probably do wings and ribs. Bring what you want to go on the grill and your own beverages.

I need a final head count if y'all don't mind. Just post here or by PM.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
What arrows do you carry to kill a swan with a bow? Because the thought of a swan with a bow just pushed all the right buttons in my head. Mike, what kind of shots can we expect on these swans, as ive never hunted swans before.

This should really get you pumped. I went with Mike last year with my bow.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I got permits for many years and hunted with Tonie Davis around that area. I am thinking of starting to apply for them again as my son is worrying me about going to shoot one. If we ever do get pulled, I will def. keep this group in mind for a hunting expedition. That is a very fair rate to charge for that.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Dang! They get close!

Yes biggest mistake newbs make is not being patient. My son and I always opt to shoot last or near last. The shooting is way better later in the morning after all other hunters have gotten their birds.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a box of Kent Fast steel "T" and had no problem taking down those big birds. No need to buy those expensive boxes of shells!

True..ive killed them with T also. Just prefer the #2 hevishot as I once saw a radio collared swan flying high no one cohld touch. I was fortunate on a hunt in the snow (decoys were useless) to kill a banded swan and was using #2hevishot.

Made me partial I guess

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got permits for many years and hunted with Tonie Davis around that area. I am thinking of starting to apply for them again as my son is worrying me about going to shoot one. If we ever do get pulled, I will def. keep this group in mind for a hunting expedition. That is a very fair rate to charge for that.

Mikes wings and ribs are almost worth that!!

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Got my bow ready, arrows ready, broadheads, waders, and warm clothes...anything else y'all recommend taking?

My cousin is taking a shotgun so if I miss too many times I'll grab his shotgun, lol

Last edited: