PD refuge ML hunt

herman

Six Pointer
Any one hunt the ML hunt on the PD refuge and know how many deer were taken?
I am on a club that joins the refuge and I heard one shot at 6:15 pm Friday evening and Saturday didn't hear a shot all day.
There were 7 of us bow hunting our club and no one saw a deer from Friday till sunday.
So was curious how many deer were taken.

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
Since your so close I'd recommend you go by the HQ off Hwy 52 & checking with them. They have all information on kills there.

Keep looking up!

herman

Six Pointer
Since I have been hunting the refuge or next to it since 1970 (think that was the first year it opened) I know where the HQ is.If that would have been possible
I would have checked there.
I have a very sick wife and Friday evening,sat. and sunday morning was the first and only time I have gotten to bow hunt this year.I live a 100 miles from there.So I spent all that time in the stand not knowing if I would get to hunt anymore this year.
Seeing posts on here before about the PD hunts, thought maybe someone on here had been on the ML hunt.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
My brother and I hunted there Thursday and Friday. We only heard a handful of shots both days. I didn't see any deer while on stand. My brother only saw one.

Talked to a few people and they said things were slow for them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herman

Six Pointer
Thanks for the reply.
I have been on this club since 2000 and it has been the worst bow season this year so far.
We have plenty of pics on camera but nothing during the day time.
One member took a doe the first day of bow season and another took a small 6 the next weekend but no one has seen a deer since when hunting.
Hopefully it will get better by the time muzzleloader season gets here.
I haven't hunted the refuge the last couple of years because I don't get around so good at my age.
I think it was the last time or the time before I got 2 nice bucks in one day on the refuge.This was a rifle hunt.
Remember one year on a muzzleloader hunt years ago,I got a eleven point and there wasn't but 13 deer killed on that hunt.
When the refuge first opened it was a bowhunters paradise.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the reply.
I have been on this club since 2000 and it has been the worst bow season this year so far.
We have plenty of pics on camera but nothing during the day time.
One member took a doe the first day of bow season and another took a small 6 the next weekend but no one has seen a deer since when hunting.
Hopefully it will get better by the time muzzleloader season gets here.
I haven't hunted the refuge the last couple of years because I don't get around so good at my age.
I think it was the last time or the time before I got 2 nice bucks in one day on the refuge.This was a rifle hunt.
Remember one year on a muzzleloader hunt years ago,I got a eleven point and there wasn't but 13 deer killed on that hunt.
When the refuge first opened it was a bowhunters paradise.

I've heard stories about how it used to be years ago. This was my first time down there. It's a neat place for sure.

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
Hey Herman. Sorry to hear your wife is sick. I hope I didn't come across as being a smart alec. Just providing info I thought would help. My apologies brother if you took it that way.

Hope you were able to find out about the current year kills. More importantly hope your wife gets better soon. Take care & good luck.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Hey Herman. Sorry to hear your wife is sick. I hope I didn't come across as being a smart alec. Just providing info I thought would help. My apologies brother if you took it that way.

Hope you were able to find out about the current year kills. More importantly hope your wife gets better soon. Take care & good luck.

Funny thing is, I was going to post the same information that you did, assuming he didn't realize and was only going to try to help. Then I saw his reply...I thought, I'm glad he sent that and not me.:D
I'm sure that when he sees your post he'll see your intent.

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
Yeah sometimes it's not as easy to get your point across using a keyboard as talking face to face.

I feel better that I wasn't the only one thinking about posting the info. [emoji1]

herman

Six Pointer
Jay,
no apologie necessary,I truly appreciate all replys to my post.This is what the fourm is about.
Wife is doing a little better so maybe I will get to hunt a couple days during the muzzle season.
Thanks for all the replys fellows and good luck to all.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to small game hunt that refuge religiously. I saw the biggest whitetail buck I have ever seen in my life there back in the early '80s. And I have seen some truly nice ones when I used to hunt out west. He was with a doe and laid there with her to I almost stepped on them then left that place. I was within 5 steps of them.

I used to find some or my dogs find some decent sheds, but nothing his caliber even up to 10-12 years ago, but in recent years there hasn't been the sign on there even close to what it used to be.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
So much food could be you guys problem seeing lot what your saying at our place as well its just crazy how many acorns are on ground along with soft mast. I figure deer will be eating nuts on Valentines day

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
The refuge has lost its glory. To many hunters the last several years back in the late 90's was the best hunting I can remember.I did not even put in for a hunt this year,the hunters and coyotes the deer have really dissapeared in that area.