North Dakota in a week

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Got the trailer loaded up! Two 4 wheelers, a 12 ft John boat, 2 deer decoys, 5 ground blinds, 3 lock ons, 6 shot guns, 3 bows,geese and duck decoys, dog boxes, a stand up freezer, couple coolers, a trout fishing rod, totes full of clothes and gear... Ithink that covers most everything... I'll manage to forget something I'm sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Holy Cow you are loaded down. I hope you can find time to do all those options! We duck hunted for a week and didn't even really have time to pheasant hunt by the time we were done hunting and scouting for the next day.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Buddies just got back Sat. Said that it was their worst waterfowl year ever, the weather hadn't really hit yet.

Wish I was going with you but I don't want to do the drive. Did that drive for 20 years from E. KY, and it was 19 hours, Minnesota lasts FOREVER (you will see what I mean).

Too late now, but I wouldn't take the boat. I would also think twice on the 4 wheelers, but I have never hauled a deer out of NoDak so they may be useful. Make sure you take your own spices, they only know salt pepper ketchup and mustard up there.

If you want to have some fun, ask for grits everywhere you go. They will think you are from another planet. And whatever you do, don't order or try Lutefisk. I think that garbage is actually banned by the Geneva Convention

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
And don't ask for mayo!!! They'll say sure we've got mayo...but it's salad dressing...and it'll ruin whatever it's on lol!

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
53f2de2c6623c2567d0cdbe10b70aa89.jpg

We are on the way boys... wish us luck...

Last edited:

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Minus the kitchen sink, I think we have it covered. Just hit South Dakota. 500 miles to go.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I need some luck gentlemen... hunted some decent spots with good sign and have only seen 1 giant mule deer doe thus far. That heifer was 124 yards away but she was huge...

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
The scenery is amazing. I really enjoy the hunting. Everything has been an absolute blast so far. The deer hunting is tough in my opinion compared to home. I've seen a giant whitetail scouting. I saw a really nice mule deer at 45 yards tonight but I only have a whitetail tail.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
43059071d9a250b587f933f2107dd7f0.jpg
b5d8d5ce059a74871c6ec429d57c81bd.jpg

My dad got his first wild rooster today. He was tickled! Wish I could have been with him but I was in the deer stand.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Tag soup for me boys. Hunted as hard as I could and came up empty. 5 mornings and 5 evenings on stand. Saw 3 whitetail does, 1 giant mule deer doe and one nice muley 4x4. Wish i had a tag for him bc I could have shot him at 45 yards. I had a blast and learned a lot. I will never come back to north dakota unless I can use a rifle. For the money I spend on this trip I could have joined a club in NC for an entire year. Back to work I go. :(

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tag soup can sometimes be very bitter, hopefully you'll take some good memories away from the hunt to sweeten it up a bit.
Have a safe trip home to NC !

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Hate it for you brother! I know how much you were looking forward to tagging a nice one......Did you at least get a pheasant or 10?

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Tag soup for me boys. Hunted as hard as I could and came up empty. 5 mornings and 5 evenings on stand. Saw 3 whitetail does, 1 giant mule deer doe and one nice muley 4x4. Wish i had a tag for him bc I could have shot him at 45 yards. I had a blast and learned a lot. I will never come back to north dakota unless I can use a rifle. For the money I spend on this trip I could have joined a club in NC for an entire year. Back to work I go. :(

Don't be that way - NoDak gets in your blood. Regroup and think hard, figure out what you did right, and what you could improve. You clearly did something right to have a mature mule deer at 45 yards. I love going up, but we learned early on that NoDak is big country and time spent scouting is never wasted. If I was going for a week of deer hunting I probably wouldn't even hang a stand for the first couple of days. Walk the ground, hunt the grouse and pheasants, and see where you are kicking the deer out of.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Those are some very wise words cootmeurer. I should have done more scouting and less actual hunting. I think the afternoon hunts would have been more successful although I saw more in the morning. We saw 2 very nice whitetail over 125 inches pheasant hunting. If I had jumped them earlier on I would have known where they were bedding. The best part of the trip was pheasant hunting with my father for a couple hours mid day yesterday....

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Love hunting out that way always return home refreshed and stress free, For my 2 cents if you go back there are better deer hunting in 3 states to south I think you were there on invite this time but just mentioning if for another trip down road. also you made some memories for lifetime I love good road trip and hunting new surrounding and you learn every time you go