Coyotes Eating Pets

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Been looking at getting a few goats for a while now, just havent pulled the trigger yet. Sunday evening at dusk i could hear several coyotes in the creek bottom across from my house yelping and howling for a good 20 mins. Now im even more leery about keeping a few goats penned up. Anybody have trouble with yotes and goats? Im already nervous about the stray/wild dogs around our area. We had a couple rip a hole in the bottom of the cage of our flemmish rabbit and kill it.

Harpoon

One would probably have a little trouble with a Goat.

They tend to go for the snack size cats and small dogs since they can carry them back to the den.

Then there was that pic on here a few years ago of a yote carrying a newborn fawn in its mouth around Falls Lake.

whynot

Spike
We've had 2 calves get killed and eaten last year by coyotes. They only get them when they are less than a week old and can't really function normally. I imagine if they can eat a calf they'd probably eat a goat.

Aythya

Eight Pointer
Know some folks in Orange County that have a Great Pyrenees and a donkey to guard their sheep and g0ats. It works except that that the GP kills their cats, too.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Get a donkey, too. Supposed to work.

They will work seeing more and more people putting them in with their cattle or sheep and yotes will get calves have some fairley new bones in my back yard at present. They took a midsize heifer at my brothers last year he was camping with kids out back and heard the tale end of the attack found the site next AM

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My friend got some new piglets the other day. He is keeping them in the trailer until we fix their pen later this week. He took me out to see them and a coyote was trying to get in the trailer. Unfortunately neither of use were armed. We went inside to check photos from the trail cams and we had a coyote eating corn from one of the corn piles.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
My friend got some new piglets the other day. He is keeping them in the trailer until we fix their pen later this week. He took me out to see them and a coyote was trying to get in the trailer. Unfortunately neither of use were armed. We went inside to check photos from the trail cams and we had a coyote eating corn from one of the corn piles.

Sounds like you need a trapper…

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
My dad has a donkey with his goats. We don't worry so much about coyotes but rather dogs. He will turn a dog into a greasy spot if he can catch it. And anything else that's not a goat for that matter. Very brutal and disturbing site but he is very effective. His down side is he will also kill newborn goats so dad has to put the nannies up and let kids get a week or so old before turning hem back out. He pays no attention to them after that and I've even seen them jumping on his back while he is lying down. He still has a load of birdshot in his rump from when I found out he would kill newborns. He was running thru the woods with one his mouth shaking it like a dog would shake a squirrel. He dropped it when that load of 9's hit him at about 45yds but the goat was already dead.

Last edited:

Val Resnick

Four Pointer
The donkey method seems to be very effective and popular. I've heard of many guys taking that route.

Many pet and livestock kills/injuries are attributed to the coyote, and rightfully so given their nature, but are actually packs or groups of wild dogs. They can be detrimental.

A man hired me several years back to catch coyotes that were getting in his cow pasture at night. The suspect was tearing the noses and tails almost completely off of young calves. A few nights into my endeavor, and I was successful, but not with coyotes. This was a large pack of extremely aggressive and nasty wild dogs. I caught and dispatched about a dozen in two days. End of problem.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dogs that pack up lose their "pet" status really quickly. The same Phydeaux that plays with the kids is a killer of wild things, domestic livestock and chickens when he's allowed to roam freely. That becomes exponentially bad when he packs up with Fluffy and Spot from down the road.
We used to shoot neighborhood dogs that came to kill the newborn calves in the birthing pen quite frequently, most would be dogs that I had seen, and most had collars. Farmers have no problem ridding the world of these killers, but the public can't get over the fact that a "domesticated" animal has been killed. Somehow they think that a collar prevents an animal from acting in this manner.

Harpoon

Yes, pet dogs can go "wild" pretty quick, especially if packed up.

National story five six years back about a high dollar breed got out in NY NJ at some national show somewhere and went wild.....thing was pampered like a princess but "answered the call" pretty quick.

They hired trappers from out west, even a phychic to try and capture that dog...few people saw it out in NJ forest iirc, but never did catch it....avoided humans at all costs.

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I once read an article where a study was made on the stomach content of coyotes. They found a part of a shoe sole in ones stomach. So yep they will eat just about anything

I believe it's possible that the yote in question is possibly one that Tightline "opened up a shoe shop in it's arse".?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My dad has a donkey with his goats. We don't worry so much about coyotes but rather dogs. He will turn a dog into a greasy spot if he can catch it. And anything else that's not a goat for that matter. Very brutal and disturbing site but he is very effective. His down side is he will also kill newborn goats so dad has to put the nannies up and let kids get a week or so old before turning hem back out. He pays no attention to them after that and I've even seen them jumping on his back while he is lying down. He still has a load of birdshot in his rump from when I found out he would kill newborns. He was running thru the woods with one his mouth shaking it like a dog would shake a squirrel. He dropped it when that load of 9's hit him at about 45yds but the goat was already dead.
I have had donkeys in with my goats. He just happens to have a bad one that kills kids, I had one that did that also, he didn't last long.

Donkeys will do just like you said, they will turn any canine into a greasy spot. All my goats are in electric, my nephews chow got in the fence by mistake once and had it not been for a creep feeder that the goats had wallowed out around she would have been a greasy spot also. We had come in from church and I noticed the donkey staying by that creep feeder instead of with the goats. I knew something was up so I walked out there. All I could see was a pair of eyes shining back at me. I had to lead the donkey and put it in the barn it was quit some time before that dog came out. Between the donkey and electric fence it never ventured in there again.

whynot

Spike
Speaking of the dogs. We've have a good friend that has killed quite a few domesticated dogs that would kill his calves. A lady asked him one time in a meeting how he knew they were domesticated. Her mouth hit the grounf when he said "I've took the collars off enough that I've killed to know they are not wild dogs."