Persimmon and crabapple tree order

I ordered 100 persimmon and 100 crabapple from the NC forest service. I know i won't be able to plant all 200 due to space and time constraints. If anyone is interested, I will sell 50 of each, 100 total, for 60 dollars (what they cost). I live in wilmington, NC and you could pick them up here or in Mt pleasant, NC, just outside concord. They do not get delivered until December.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
So do you plant them in December ? Or just keep them in the pot ? Seems like a odd time of year

They're bare root and can get planted right away. I lik getting the January or February shipments to give a few more chilling hours so they are fully dormant. Most years the December shipments haven't had as many chilling hours (hours below 40 degrees)and they can't be stored as long. Once they reach 400 chilling hours the seedlings are fully dormant and can be stored for a month or more. The trees will be fine with less,but need to be planted quicker.

I will start planting as soon as I get them. I feel like the sooner I can get them in the ground the better. By March I am ready start clearing lanes and working food plots and new trails. If I waited til march here in Wilmington it could be in the 80s and no rain. Weather down here has been crazy last few winters.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like all the seedlings from the Claridge nursery were flooded during the hurricane, and the seedlings are not going to be fit for planting. Everyone should be getting notified and refunded from what I've heard. I ordered a couple of seedlings myself this year, so I guess I'll have to find them somewhere else or skip planting this year....