Winter Forecast

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I dont put much weight into super early weather forecast because anything can happen, but here is what they expect for this winter. Supposed to be a La Nina year which means warmer and drier for the middle to southern part of the U.S. and colder and wetter up north. I assume that could be beneficial to us as long as the warmer weather doesn't push too far north. You guys have any thoughts on this?

http://www.wral.com/winter-outlook-warm-south-cooler-north-middling-in-middle/16133888/

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
yeah.....unless the freeze line is on the NC/Va border, generally the seasons are like they were last year around here........'good' seasons around here are few and far between.

JD1107

I wasn't living in nc when Floyd hit back in 99, but was told it was a pretty cold winter down here along with some snow. Maybe Matthew you will bring the same results.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I think the days of cold winters are over for NC. At least in the months of OCT-JAN. Feb and March seem to be the only 2 months we actually get cold weather these days.
NC weather is pretty much summer with the occasional cold front that moves through for a day or 2.

Please let me eat these these words this year!

skydog

One of the weather guys I follow likes to talk about snow cover in Siberia this time of year as being a potential driver of cold/snow over the US....the theory is that snow cover in that area is a producer of cold air that can then push down through Canada and across the continental US. For what this is worth, snow levels are apparently quite high and exploding even higher in Siberia this month. Obviously that could mean nothing for this part of the country, but it's at least a start.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
One of the weather guys I follow likes to talk about snow cover in Siberia this time of year as being a potential driver of cold/snow over the US....the theory is that snow cover in that area is a producer of cold air that can then push down through Canada and across the continental US. For what this is worth, snow levels are apparently quite high and exploding even higher in Siberia this month. Obviously that could mean nothing for this part of the country, but it's at least a start.

That type of stuff is fascinating to me. Any idea of good reading material he has mentioned about the topic?

Southern

Ten Pointer
I think the days of cold winters are over for NC. At least in the months of OCT-JAN. Feb and March seem to be the only 2 months we actually get cold weather these days.
NC weather is pretty much summer with the occasional cold front that moves through for a day or 2.

Please let me eat these these words this year!

BINGO

Hearing duck hunters say " I hope it will be cold this year here in NC" is kind of like the guy who thinks he is going to win the lottery every time he plays. Ain't going to happen. It is over with for cold weather here folks. Sure we have 1-2 cold days then back to 70's but that is not a winter to me. Overall the trend is pretty self explanatory. Warmer winters punctuated by the occasional cold snap a few days to 10 days long, regardless of EL NINA, LA NINA, or whoever. If we do have extended cold weather it will be in March.

skydog

That type of stuff is fascinating to me. Any idea of good reading material he has mentioned about the topic?

I haven't seen much in terms of reading material out of him on it....I just did a google search on the topic and it seems like an indicator that many weather guys follow but obviously is just one of many factors to look at. Here is one recent article from a different meteorologist that I found talking about it a couple of weeks ago. http://www.meteorologistjoecioffi.c...er-2016-2017-siberian-snow-cover-begins-grow/

In recent history, the 2014-2015 winter had high Siberian snow levels and that was a cold/snowy winter for the east (in February, after duck season of course). The indicator would have also pointed to a cold winter last year though, but it was more than counteracted by the strong el nino.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
I haven't seen much in terms of reading material out of him on it....I just did a google search on the topic and it seems like an indicator that many weather guys follow but obviously is just one of many factors to look at. Here is one recent article from a different meteorologist that I found talking about it a couple of weeks ago. http://www.meteorologistjoecioffi.c...er-2016-2017-siberian-snow-cover-begins-grow/

In recent history, the 2014-2015 winter had high Siberian snow levels and that was a cold/snowy winter for the east (in February, after duck season of course). The indicator would have also pointed to a cold winter last year though, but it was more than counteracted by the strong el nino.

True. I did some googling after I posted. Pretty neat stuff.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
1" of snow on the ground in Ithaca NY this morning, per a buddy of mine. Trying to get a numbers report from him. Update : Numbers increasing

Last edited: