Will a Plot or two Make a Difference?

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
The 192 acres I hunt consist of 40% ag fields (beans this year), 40 % 1st. year cut over, and the remaining 20% is timber that runs as a green belt along a creek the entire length of the western edge of the property. My question is will adding a food plot or two when there is so much other food available make that much of a difference in general? It will primary be a harvest plot/s because currently not that many deer are calling the property home since the cut over took place back in April. As much as I love to work on the land and improve it investing $1000 on seed and fertilizer almost seems like a waste when the deer don’t use the existing beans on a regular basis. I have been hunting for over 30 years and have killed deer in six different states but the resident deer on this place are throwing me for a loop. Even back in summer. One camera check deer all over the place. Couple weeks later hardly any.

ncnat

Ten Pointer
When the cut over grows some, a few small plots will give you a chance at the deer before they head to the ag fields which will likely be after dark once the pressure starts.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would be most concerned with long term. When a property is cutover, the first two years are the time to make any food plots, lanes, etc. and keep them open (if you have that freedom). If you don't have free reign, now is the time to ask about keeping some spots open.

But to answer your question... deer like variety. You've got beans, and native browse, but I bet you don't have any natural stands of oats, winter peas, brassicas or clover growing. I would try to envision where the deer will bed once the cutover grows up next year and what their patterns will be on the way to the ag fields. Set up a plot in an area in between (usually closer to bedding is better) and see what happens. As far as hunting this year, I would get up as high as I could over that cutover, where I could see a long ways, and wait.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I think your expectations are correct in that these will be shooting plots with nutritional needs coming from other vegetation types around the property.

Sky hawk hit the nail on the head. If you own the land, now is a critical time to plan for the future. I assume that the clear cut will be replanted this winter. Identify skid roads, logging decks, field edges, etc. that will provide the most bang for the buck in the future. Keep these areas unplanted and manage them to enhance habitat and recreation, especially in 10 years when pine canopy closes. Also now is the time to begin developing future plots with herbicide applications. Treating future plots with herbicide now, before they get too tall can reduce costly mowing or land clearing in the future.

If you do not own the property discuss options with landowner. Make sure the landowner knows that leaving a buffer on roads that is not planted in trees will improve future access and reduce road maintenance in the future. Also leaving field edges unplanted reduce the loss in agricultural production caused by root encroachment and shade from an adjacent pine plantation. These unplanted road shoulders and field edges can be managed with selective herbicides to maintain browse, and dense bedding areas once the pine trees start shading out the groundcover.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
No one mentioned it , but for now I'd set up in , or along that green belt you mentioned , its a natural travel way the deer will use. If you build a couple of kill plots put them adjacent to it. Good luck.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
It can't hurt and I don't think a couple small plots will cost ya 1k.
Try to plant a variety in the plots and see what they like best.

Last edited:

SM270

Ten Pointer
Based on my hunts and hunting different places I think food plots do help. I have hunted places that had a few ag fields and places that was only woods. I am currently in a lease that is 98% pines I went in the spring and tilled and limed a over grown power line, I planted a mixture of ebony peas, soybeans, and buckwheat. I timed it with rain it came up great and deer ate like crazy. I went in and tilled it under in August, planted oats, winter peas, clover and chicory. The plot looks awesome now and deer are munching almost daily in daylight. I say there last Monday had 7 does and a small buck munch for 30-40 minutes, so I do think they work. Can't hurt anything. And you can get away with 100 bucks if you do it right and have a great plot. Skyhawk knows his stuff as well.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It can't hurt and I don't think a couple small plots will cost ya 1k.

Nope. If cost is an issue, a 50lb. bag of oats ($13) and 2-3 bags of fertilizer will plant a 1/2 acre plot. Or two 1/4 acre plots. For $50-75 you can plant a decent plot as a test run if you've got the equipment and/or the energy.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer like variety I have found. One day they want corn when its cold, another day acorns if you have them and soybeans on occasion. I have found that the best mix no matter where you hunt in NC, seems to be a little corn and or acorns and salad aka a green plot such as wheat, oats clover, and or rye. Soybean fields can produce a lot of deer one day and the next nothing. I paid a farmer to plant me 5 acres of soybeans when my kids enjoyed going hunting up on a small farm in Northampton county. One day I would have 8-12 deer in beans, The next day I might have 2. Soybeans don't always produce deer but neither does any other food source.
I would go ahead and plant a strip of oats ASAP> Variety is what attracts wildlife. All Nature depends on it.

Last edited:

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think your expectations are correct in that these will be shooting plots with nutritional needs coming from other vegetation types around the property.

Sky hawk hit the nail on the head. If you own the land, now is a critical time to plan for the future. I assume that the clear cut will be replanted this winter. Identify skid roads, logging decks, field edges, etc. that will provide the most bang for the buck in the future. Keep these areas unplanted and manage them to enhance habitat and recreation, especially in 10 years when pine canopy closes. Also now is the time to begin developing future plots with herbicide applications. Treating future plots with herbicide now, before they get too tall can reduce costly mowing or land clearing in the future.

If you do not own the property discuss options with landowner. Make sure the landowner knows that leaving a buffer on roads that is not planted in trees will improve future access and reduce road maintenance in the future. Also leaving field edges unplanted reduce the loss in agricultural production caused by root encroachment and shade from an adjacent pine plantation. These unplanted road shoulders and field edges can be managed with selective herbicides to maintain browse, and dense bedding areas once the pine trees start shading out the groundcover.

this^. believe me, it sucks trying to come back 3-4 years later & clearing out plots & lanes. this happened to me, the landowner kept dragging his feet. now we are working twice as hard to do any clearing or cutting.. its amazing how fast a clearcut will grow back.

if you know you are going to be there awhile,think long term. this year we are moving stands around because its too thick to hunt the areas we had good access to the 1st year or two.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Another option in a fresh clear cut is to use a hand seeder and just broadcast oats or wheat directly into the cut area. After a little rain you will be good to go.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Another option in a fresh clear cut is to use a hand seeder and just broadcast oats or wheat directly into the cut area. After a little rain you will be good to go.
This is a good idea as long as you don't have a lot of turkeys around. I put out 50 pounds of winter rye on a field up in Rockingham county and the turkeys scratched it almost up.