whole dove

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
seen a post on dove that made me pluck one,,,,never tried that before and I may be a convert,,,,plucked very fast and easy,,,,,,,

D_-3yUZki4KNb8W4XQxjjdrj38woEr-QASwiwtFFAliWaFU9xucGejWReG5KITFKlR1SUgF-tTYAgw=w2000-h1125-no

cooked it on the grill,,,,not quite hot enough as it didn't get the nice brown that I wanted,,,,but tasted great at medium rare,,,,,,since I only plucked one I cooked it with some duck breasts I had left,,,,,,,

fyNQc4ZPGI4yFfM99XwZ0Dnm2sSElmwhmhDrG2RDB5c08u-cE4xLaBgK_Tcf4WrcMxz-ZabTY93UNQ=w2000-h1125-no

gonna try that again, but hotter,,,,,,,

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Funny you post this. I just tried a whole bird last week. I plucked the whole thing and rubbed it down with a rotisserie seasoning and cooked it on the skillet top on our gas stove. It was very good!! Best part was the skin. Got all crispy from the skillet. I told my wife I'd be happy with a plate full of the dove skin cooked till crispy. Haha

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I have cooked mine whole forever. Batter them up and drop them in deep fryer like chicken....that is good stuff.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How about the shot?

what shot? I lead them enough so they are head shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

ok, seriously - normally it goes on through - I don't do long range shots so the lead shot still has plenty of oomph,,,,plus your just as likely to have shot in a hunk of breasted bird as you will a whole one.

takes just a minute or two to pluck and gut - if they aren't all tore up - if the bird is tore up I forgo plucking - either will skin or as last resort, breast

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will have to try this the next time I shoot a few. Do you cut them up the back? Grill hot or Fry in pan?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They are great that way. Did my Swan that way in the spring. Eating what I could made the rest into a stew a few days later. Did some wood ducks also. My favorite way to cook them. Here are a few.

Attachments

• 20161224_170339.jpeg
    20161224_170339.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I will have to try this the next time I shoot a few. Do you cut them up the back? Grill hot or Fry in pan?

just plucked and small cut in belly to get innards out,,,season,,,on hot grill till done/golden brown

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I like to stuff them with browned sausage/onions/apples and them finish them in a hot oven or grill.

congrats,,,made my mouth water,,,,I have a full belly from wild turket breast Coconut Curry (with rice) and you had to go and bring up that idea!!

well done!

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
congrats,,,made my mouth water,,,,I have a full belly from wild turket breast Coconut Curry (with rice) and you had to go and bring up that idea!!

well done!
Glad to help. If you have a spare minute and like to cook google wood pigeon recipes. Most of the recipes are British and really work well with doves.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I'll be dern. I always just popped the breast out and chunked the rest. I might have to try this.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tried this last night. Rubbed with oil, seasoned with Carolina seasoning and stuffed with sausage and onions. Grilled hot over charcoal. I also seasoned and fried some breasts in bacon grease.
1E4A7DF7-E662-4487-8D2B-B28041CC5A37.jpeg

09534FBD-0A8E-4828-83F1-CF905AF93970.jpeg

It’s good. I’d like to try it with a little bigger bird. Not much meat on a dove leg or wing.

Last edited: