Land based shark fishing

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's fun for sure, landed a 7ft sandbar today
Sharks are kinda like gators. about 4' is where they start bulking up and really change. You can get a 3.5 footer in pretty dang easy a 4.5 footer if it is feeling good will give you a tussle. A 7' anything is going to get your attention.

I don't know what your observation has been but for us it seemed that the nastier rougher surf was always more productive for sharks except when we were fishing at Fort Fisher. Then it depended on the spot run and when they were cleaning on the fish tables. We would mop up down current from that most times. I am pretty sure they don't allow fishing from the beach there anymore.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Sharks are kinda like gators. about 4' is where they start bulking up and really change. You can get a 3.5 footer in pretty dang easy a 4.5 footer if it is feeling good will give you a tussle. A 7' anything is going to get your attention.

I don't know what your observation has been but for us it seemed that the nastier rougher surf was always more productive for sharks except when we were fishing at Fort Fisher. Then it depended on the spot run and when they were cleaning on the fish tables. We would mop up down current from that most times. I am pretty sure they don't allow fishing from the beach there anymore.
He wasn't to feisty for his size till he got close. And rough water seems to be productive for us as well, doesn't make paddling baits any easier though. We're at oak island

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
IMG_0963.jpg must have dumped the rest on the computer. One of the smaller sandbars we caught that night. Typically try and target the big 100+ lb sand tigers. I use all surf spinning gear casted out. Prefer that method over paddling baits out and trolling rods.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 52897 must have dumped the rest on the computer. One of the smaller sandbars we caught that night. Typically try and target the big 100+ lb sand tigers. I use all surf spinning gear casted out. Prefer that method over paddling baits out and trolling rods.

Wildlife show me some pics of your spinning rod and reel or the models? and line plus rigging/?? thanks. oh I caught 1 shark yesterday that was smaller than any of the drum , maybe 20 lbs at best at that thing pulled harder than any of the drum.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
View attachment 52897 must have dumped the rest on the computer. One of the smaller sandbars we caught that night. Typically try and target the big 100+ lb sand tigers. I use all surf spinning gear casted out. Prefer that method over paddling baits out and trolling rods.
I have some friends that do the cast only tournaments and run
big spinning reels mainly penn spin fishers. The group I fish with just haven't had as much luck on casted baits, we run mainly penn 9/0 and 12/0 reels on stand up fighting rods with a avet thrown in here and there. Yesterday we did 3-400yd drops and had 4 runs only one resulting in a hook up.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Penn Prevail 12 foot surf spin, shimano Thunnus 16000f, 300 yards of 50 pound braid + backer, and a extra big circle hook drum rig with 6 feet of large mono......,,, the penn will chunk 8 ounces and bait pretty well and the 16000f is a wonderful beast of a reel

Attachments

• IMG_02382.jpg
    IMG_02382.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Wildlife show me some pics of your spinning rod and reel or the models? and line plus rigging/?? thanks. oh I caught 1 shark yesterday that was smaller than any of the drum , maybe 20 lbs at best at that thing pulled harder than any of the drum.

I will try and get a few pics along with specs soon. Still unpacking from my NoDak trip

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Used to be a group of shark fishermen on the outer banks years ago, they all drove 2wd vans with fat slick radials.