Broom Sage

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Ok put down a significant amount of Gly star plus a couple weeks ago as I contemplated planting but it had no effect on the broom sage. Everything else died off so I know I got a good application. I don't have access to a culavator so what can I spray to break down/kill the sage enough to turn it over with an Atv disc?

Thanks

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can spray with glyphosate aka roundup but the broomsage will just turn brown and take months to die to the ground if it is tall. I would spray it and throw down oats and rye and run your atv disc over it good. Be sure to lime.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Are you talking about broom straw? Set it on fire...... then your disc should run over it OK but it will still be clumpy because of the root balls. Should still turn up enough dirt to plant some oats.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Likely too late to spray to kill the broomsedge this year. If you are looking for a fall/winter shooter plot you could do as others have suggested and broadcast and disk in a throw and grow mix. If you want to kill it mow in late May or June net year and spray 3 quarts of glyphosate per acre. Make sure to take a soil test.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you'll go ahead and put out lime, disc it in good, slam the phosphorus fertilizer at the same time at 40 pounds per acre minimum. Your broom sage problem will fix itself and you will have a good start for next year.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Likely too late to spray to kill the broomsedge this year.

I have a couple other spots I want to prep for spring that don't have broom sage. Would I be wasting my time spraying this late?

It depends on what is there you are trying to kill. Many of the warm season species are winding down and will have limited uptake of herbicide. Getting about right to kill cool season species such as fescue.