Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: anybody fall hunting this year?

Six Pointer

hope to on our lease in VA also..while.deer hunting.

May target them later season. Have there roost sight penned down pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by Helium View Post
    hope to on our lease in VA also..while.deer hunting.

May target them later season. Have there roost sight penned down pretty well
    Can't imagine turkeys taking back seat to deer....
    "If you are serious about turkey hunting, then turkey hunt; if you want to relax, go fishing or sit in a deer stand." ~ L. Williams

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by hawglips View Post
    well they have to for a while, the season goes out on the turks.

Is this a fishing thread? Lots of trolling.
    ISA Certified Arborist
    Contact me for your tree care needs!

Twelve Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by hawglips View Post
    Have to 2nd that only thing I regret about my fall vacation days is I spent to many for deer and didn't get to Tenn now that its over wish I would have done it different

Old Mossy Horns

VA's season is pretty smart. They take the turkeys down for awhile during the peak of deer season. then let you kill one on Thanksgiving then open back up in december.

that was the basis for my comment about the turkeys taking a back seat, the season goes out. you cant legally kill them.

i'm know that hal knows that. others may have not.

Twelve Pointer

Actually oldest school the opening week of ML season is open for deer and turkey and both can be killed with ML and that starts this Sat and is one of the most hunted weeks in Sw Va only 2nd to Thanksgiving week and to me its better deer hunting than Thanksgiving because pre rut is going good after that start getting some lock down. Then ML comes back in later after rifle goes out and again can kill both deer and turkey so add that all in with getting to kill one on Thanksgiving and there is more than ample opportunity to take deer and turkey at same time during peak deer season. Man talking about this makes me miss home I used to and still do sometimes hunt early for deer and get bored pretty quick then put ML away and grab the 870 and my vest and chase birds till about 230 then go back to ML. I myself have no desire to shoot a turkey with Ml or high power rifle while deer hunting but many do and its perfectly legal I like the game and chase to much

Went out today and hunted hard all morning, but was unable to find anything. Found a nice place to sit down and eat lunch, and decided to stretch out and take a nap. Dozed off a little, and laid around for about an hour or so, and called every now and then.

About 1:40, immediately after a lost yelp series on the box, I heard a single note yelp in response. It was the first turkey sound I'd heard all day. I sat up, whirled around to face the sound, and fumbled for my mouth call. Before I could get a hold of it, I saw the turkey standing by the edge of a swamp, with the body posture of "come on if you want company, but I ain't coming no closer." So, I put the bead on her and let 'em go.

She'd been feeding in the willow oaks...
    "If you are serious about turkey hunting, then turkey hunt; if you want to relax, go fishing or sit in a deer stand." ~ L. Williams

So that new choke works pretty good, huh? Congrats.

Old Mossy Horns

nice way to break in a new choke and get back in the fall game.

Congratultions .