Trout Fishing near Banner Elk

dsparks84

Hey everyone. I'm not new to this forum(old name used to be dsparkstbbucs for those who might remember) but it's been years since I've been on and had to create a new account. Good to be back and see that the site is still up and running. My girlfriend and some of her family and I are going to Banner Elk this weekend. Fishing was brought up as an activity and since I'm the most experienced between all of us(probably all combined), I was put in charge of figuring it out. I checked out the Grandfather Trout Pond but was confused about it.

From what I gather, at GFP, you must keep what you catch and they charge you $6.95/lb. I've never been the type that keeps their catch other than when I flounder gig so that's a turn off to me. And personally....a rip off too but I'm not judging. So I'm gonna try to figure out if there is a decent stream/river near the area. I'd rather not drive over 20 miles preferably but i'm uneducated with the area.

Anybody have any suggestions as to some good public places that may be near? We will not be bringing a boat/kayaks/canoes so something other than a lake is preferred. I'm not trying to invade somebody's "secret spot" or trying to catch a new state record, just someplace to go that we can have a little bit of success and not get blanked out. Also...what equipment should I focus on to try and catch trout? I know fly-fishing is popular but my old fly pole was misplaced years ago and I don't have one anymore but every other kind of set up i'm stocked with. Should I be focusing on getting rooster/tandem spinners or is there a better suggestion?

This was the first place to think of for suggestions and it's never disappointed me before. I appreciate the advice ahead of time and if you're feeling froggy, any help to give us a little chance. Thanks everybody, great to be back, and hope all my old comrades are doing well!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Boatorr

Button Buck
I'm familiar with that trout pond. It's a tourist trap there is no "catching" as much as as soon as something hit the water the stocked trout eat it. Great for small kids but for even the most novice of anglers it's a slap in the face. Last time I stayed up that way we ended up driving over to lineville falls and even that was a chore to find uncrowded waters.

On a side note. Swing by Bella's for honestly is one of the greatest calzones I've ever had. Every time we're up that way my wife makes us detour to eat there. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Elk River Falls. Go there and fish. There is a nice public parking area close to the falls and you can fish up or down the river from the parking area. There are good numbers of stocked fish there. Inline spinners and small jerkbaits have produced there every trip for myself and my fishing partners.

<>< Fish