Federal Field and Target 2.34 20 gauge shells in 6 shot steel

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The red 25 round boxes.

Anyone use this stuff on small game like doves?

Any more cripples or misses than lead shells?

Thanks

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The red 25 round boxes.

Anyone use this stuff on small game like doves?

Any more cripples or misses than lead shells?

Thanks
Federal Field and Target 2.34 20 gauge shells in 6 shot steel. Never seen that length 20 ga. I used 2 3/4" primarily.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Should be pretty close to 8-9 lead. 6s and 7.5s are my go to dove loads. 7.5s mostly. When they are flying high, I switch to full and 6s. Cripples are rare wth 7.5 and virtually non existent with 6s. I haven't had any luck with steel 7 shot for doves. Never tried 6s in steel. I use 8 shot lead on days where shots are close.

I'd say no go on the 6 shot steel. 8s and 9s in lead are less potent than I personally prefer.

Another consideration:: I would never go to a field with others shooting larger than 7.5s. I practice safety, but if a gun drops or I for some reason falter on a safety rule, I really don't want 6s headed towards anyone.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Should be pretty close to 8-9 lead. 6s and 7.5s are my go to dove loads. 7.5s mostly. When they are flying high, I switch to full and 6s. Cripples are rare wth 7.5 and virtually non existent with 6s. I haven't had any luck with steel 7 shot for doves. Never tried 6s in steel. I use 8 shot lead on days where shots are close.

I'd say no go on the 6 shot steel. 8s and 9s in lead are less potent than I personally prefer.

Another consideration:: I would never go to a field with others shooting larger than 7.5s. I practice safety, but if a gun drops or I for some reason falter on a safety rule, I really don't want 6s headed towards anyone.

Good point.

But steel shot is a size larger than comparable lead with a faster speed.

I guess thats why the local gun store still had lots of it. Never considered using steel for doves.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My guess the reason they have lots of it is they probably ordered them by mistake for lead. They will either take a loss on them or eat them.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good point.

But steel shot is a size larger than comparable lead with a faster speed.

I guess thats why the local gun store still had lots of it. Never considered using steel for doves.

Steel is also harder and patterns tighter. It patterns more consistently most of the time. It will also mean less shot on target most of the time. Lead is better. I can't prove it to you scientifically or with links, but if you try both, you will eventually say that lead is better.

I've never shot lead at a goose or duck...but dang if I wouldn't if it were allowed. There is a reason guys use hevishot for waterfowl even though it is quite expensive. Although it is not lead and only a denser form of steel, it kills better.

Steel is faster out of the muzzle, but it loses velocity quicker than lead. At 5 yards it is super fast, when you get to shooting range, it's comparable or slower. Most of the time the extra speed comes from a smaller payload.

You can load lead pretty fast too, especially if you shoot 1oz or 7/8oz payloads.

My powder puff 7/8 oz loads for clays will push 14-1500 fps. If I step up to 1-1/8 oz, it's just shy of 1100. I could get more speed, but I've set up my powder and bushing to drop the same load and I change the shot die and wad.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I've always used lead loads.

Its what I have now.

Just was surprised to see steel shot (at 7 a box) for sale for dove and quail.

If it works, I am not adverse to using it.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The only time you should ever shoot steel at doves is if the law requires it. Lead kills everything just fine and if steel was so good to shoot it voluntarily, their wouldn't be multitudes of companies making much better non toxic alternatives to steel. Theres a reason advertisers tell you it "performs as good as lead" instead of "performs as good steel". If it ain't required by law, leave the crap on the shelf and buy lead.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think Cali is lead free.
Yep, they require lead free for everything if I am not mistaken, all firearms.

Certain waterfowl refuges require steel for all small game but it is actually up to the refuge manager. Like at the PeeDee here you can squirrel hunt with lead in a shotgun. Others you can't depending on the manager's wishes.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Many refuges and such have dove hunts and small game/upland areas that will require you to use non toxic shot for anyone of hunting.

Other than using it as a water swatter for crippled ducks or where mandatory, I see no use for it....at all

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Many refuges and such have dove hunts and small game/upland areas that will require you to use non toxic shot for anyone of hunting.

Other than using it as a water swatter for crippled ducks or where mandatory, I see no use for it....at all

Good to know before I shelled out any $.

I'll stick with lead.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Some parts of Butner have places where you can dove hunt or rabbit hunt and it is non toxic only. several of the impoundments have perimeters of non toxic areas that are way bigger than the actual impoundment.

I have shot plenty of lead at ducks. works wonders on ducks.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have shot plenty of lead at ducks. works wonders on ducks.
I have also, before many on here were born and when it was legal. But I wouldn't want to even get caught with it on my person waterfowl hunting now. That is a citation you aren't apt to talk your way out of.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I have also, before many on here were born and when it was legal. But I wouldn't want to even get caught with it on my person waterfowl hunting now. That is a citation you aren't apt to talk your way out of.

Heard many many many people say lead 4's will kill anything that's flies or once flew. From humming birds to terra dactyls.....
My dad and grandpa had a club back when the goose was king at mattamuskeet and they said that 4's were all they ever shot

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
Number 6 on a dove is a little heavy in my opinion. The larger upland birds like pheasants and huns then they should be good. Steel is fine but there are drawbacks as compared to lead but as we all know there are places that are going to steel and non-toxic only.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Heard many many many people say lead 4's will kill anything that's flies or once flew. From humming birds to terra dactyls.....
My dad and grandpa had a club back when the goose was king at mattamuskeet and they said that 4's were all they ever shot
Yep as with everything else shot size varied by opinion. My father swore by 4s for geese. I had seen anything from BBs to 2s and even some would carry the occasional #4 buck "for high fliers".