Another awesome day. 2 Citation Reds brought in

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I had decided after catching 5 big ones on a yak Friday that on Tuesday(Today) I would head back down there and try to get one out of the surf.
Left the big city at 11 and was on the beach at 2:30.
My plan was to to throw 2 rods out with mullet(frozen) and try to catch some fresh bait. Except for a big blue crab I had no hits until I caught a bluefish at aprox 445 . I then proceeded to cut it into chunks. The head went on my 7000 blue yonder on a 12 Pinnacle rod and the next section went on a Shimano 6500 baitrunner on a 12' Powerstick plus.
Both of these outfits can throw 9 oz of lead easy. I had 6 oz on the spinning outfit and 9 oz on the Blue yonder. I cast both of these out right to where some pelicans had just dived . Almost Immediately the spinning outfits tip started heading down and then the baitrunner was giving line. I picked it up and started reeling which takes the baitrunner off and goes to drag. I could tell it was a big un and the battle began. 5 mins into the fight the blue younder starts going

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ .

I backed up to it engaged the the reel and picked it up with one hand setting the hook. I then put it back down in the holder and loosened the drag. I fought the first one for at least 5 more minutes , lipped it, had someone take a few quick photos and then I had to hold it in the water for at least another 5 before I felt confident it could swim off. Swim off it did. All the while I was keeping an eye on the blue yonder as I didn't want to lose that fish and surely didnt want to lose a 500 dollar outfit. When I pick it up it may have had 30 yards of line left before it hit the bottom of the spool. Another 10 minute battle and the second was beached , photoed and released. An awesome day.

Pete my dog was my companion today and he truly loves to fish. I think he enjoyed the trip today more than I did.

20161025_170026.jpg 20161025_170838.jpg DSCF4288.jpgDSCF4287.jpg

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Going back either Friday or Tuesday. Then my goal for next year is to catch a 5 ft plus shark out of my new yak and a king out of my yak.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The shark shouldn't be an issue. When we surf fished for them depending on the beech and conditions I have seen their tails come out of the water when we set the hook. More were hooked up on the bar or right in the breakers than out there for us.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Going back either Friday or Tuesday. Then my goal for next year is to catch a 5 ft plus shark out of my new yak and a king out of my yak.

I haven't forgotten to get you some pics and details of the surf rig. If you really want some nice sharks, cape lookout about this time of year is the place to be.