More Food Plot Questions

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
As you can tell by my many post I am stepping up my land management and I am already thinking about next year. I am planning on putting in two or three food plots in the spring. A Clover and Chicory mix in them both. Soil test have been submitted and PH is fine so that part is covered. I am trying to align all the other needed resources now and have a few questions for the food plot gurus.

First question. Is a cultipacker an absolute must for planting such a small seed or will a chain link fence drag be ok?

Second question. I have a Moultrie ATV spreader that works fine for spreading oats and fertilizer but will it be ok with the small clover/chicory seed?

Third question. In the fall will I be able to simply broadcast turnip and sugar beet seeds over the existing plots or will I need to prep them in some way or will the clover and chicory last me through the hunting season?

Fourth question. What if I don't have the resource to mow the clover? They recommend mowing it so what if I don't?

All my previous experience was with annual fall plots and we basically disc, spread fertilizer, seed, and moved on.

Thanks

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Moultrie spreader won't do a great job with your seed, you can use a small seed hand crank if your plots aren't huge or you can mix the small seed with builders or playground sand and your spreader will do a better job on it's smallest setting.
You can't overseed turnips and beets onto packed ground and get good germination, it needs to at least be fluffed up. The clover and chickory should last through the season.
You don't have to mow clover typically, it does better if mowed but it's not a life or death thing. Hopefully the deer and turkeys will mow it for you.
For small seed a drag will do ok, a roller will do better but it doesn't have to be a cultipacker. I've run over my plots with a 4 wheeler and it does a great job of packing the seed. It may take awhile on big plots but with two or three 4 wheelers riding behind each other staggered...you can pack some property.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Eric pretty much covered it, the only thing I can add is that from what I have read everyone says it's better to wait and plant in the fall so there is less weed competition.