Time for mounting deer

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Week after next my deer will have been at the taxidermists for 1 year. Out of curiousity, how long before some of you guys would call? I wasn't given a turn around time, and hate to be an aggravation. Just curious as to others thoughts on the subject.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Me personally, if he does high end work and I know the work will be the quality I expect, I consider it worth the wait well over a year.

Windy gap

Four Pointer
I normally get mine back in the six to nine month range but I guess it depends on the taxidermist

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I'd call, especially since there was no turn around time. You can call and ask without being an aggravation. You are paying for a service, you should receive it in a timely manner or at least have a rough time frame.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Things to think about are client base, quality and local harvest. We all have our favorite turn-in spots with bragging boards and you can judge the amount of business your county's go-to guy is going to get based off that. That being said, if you've paid up front, call and if you haven't, call. All you're doing is checking up on your investment.

Last edited:

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
I've waited a year after being told it would take that long. Guy is really good and is currently doing my kill from September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avery Taxidermy

The taxidermist should not mind a call after a year. If he does somethings wrong.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
A year is too long to never hear from the man. The gent I use has a four to five month turn around and does outstanding work. I killed my biggest deer ever on 9/18 one year and got it back before Christmas.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Only time it took that long was when they lost it or steal the stuff.

Have a few that I used in the past and never got my stuff done....

David Patton with lonestar taxi has stolen over 1000 worth of hides and also deposit for them of about 300....

One day I will catch up with the SOB and it will not be good.

I'm in the same boat and starting to get worried. Dropped my mount off back in Nov. last year. Spoke with the guy back in July and he said it was "almost done," but I haven't been able to get a hold of him since. Won't pick up the phone, voicemail is full. Don't want to be a pest but I'm starting to worry...

So yeah, very interested in you guys feedback on this thread..

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Thx for input. When the years up, gonna give him a call. I hate to be a bother but I was thinking that's sufficient time for turn around.

AnimalTracksTaxidermy

Everybody is different, but personally, I don't mind if people call. I normally give people an estimated time of completion as long as something crazy doesn't happen. I've had a few people who called several times once it got close to when it was supposed to be done. I know how people are on wanting to get a deer back. I used to get anxious too back when I didn't do taxidermy.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Gadget you had to mention that guy....geez he took a lot of folks on a ride that year. As for me, I take mine to one guy, he takes a good while, but a call at this point would be good. I would want to know, if he is worth his salt he wont mind.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
If your taximan does outstanding work its worth a year and then some. The other factor about a quality taxidermist is he will normally have a large backlog because of his quality. And I don't care what anyone says about their $175 shoulder mount with a 8 week turn around looking as good as a $450 shoulder mount, I guarantee you the quality will not match and flaws can be pointed out very easily on the cheaper rendition. The attention to detail just will not be there. That's not to say that there aren't some very good low cost mounts that are done by some very fine taxidermists, because there absolutely are a lot of them out there. That's fine is that's your budget but as a general rule when it comes to taxidermy you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Gadget you had to mention that guy....geez he took a lot of folks on a ride that year. As for me, I take mine to one guy, he takes a good while, but a call at this point would be good. I would want to know, if he is worth his salt he wont mind.

I will catch up fo him one day.....

Hope his family and friends know how much of a scum bag he is......
Even ripped off some of his closer fiends....
He left owing rent, wages for a few employees and sold fur from deer and other wildlife as his on the open fur market.

David Patton Lonestar Fur

You sir are scum of the earth the way you ripped off the NCTA and many of its members along with other trappers...

Last edited: