Fly Fishing in South Mountain State Park

Jauwater

So recently went to South Mountain for a little Tenkara fishing, and was surprised not to see a single trout in any stream, but seen plenty of people fishing? Also, there were alot of sketchy people there. Not to be disrespectful, but I guess the brand just threw me off. Is it always like that out there?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So recently went to South Mountain for a little Tenkara fishing, and was surprised not to see a single trout in any stream, but seen plenty of people fishing? Also, there were alot of sketchy people there. Not to be disrespectful, but I guess the brand just threw me off. Is it always like that out there?

CRC seems to know a lot about the place.......:fishing:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Sketchy or not, everyone has his story.

Since the drought has been in place I'm told everyone stopped stocking the trout streams. My Cherokee connection with the tribe said the streams had gotten so low and warm in months past that the trout were dying off. This is hearsay but was born out a few weeks ago when myself and a friend fished the Toe river; low water and the few trout we saw wouldn't touch anything in the tacklebox.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So recently went to South Mountain for a little Tenkara fishing, and was surprised not to see a single trout in any stream, but seen plenty of people fishing?

they were probably there for the same reason you were,,,,,,,,,

,,,,, Also, there were alot of sketchy people there.

sketchy?? they may have thought you were sketchy with that tenkara rod!!:)

Jauwater

Lol, reading my post it came.off like I was whining. I apologize. The other people fishing seemed fine. And I figure they were there doing the same thing as I, but I guess I assumed they weren't fishing there for the first time as I was. I assumed there were some many anglers cause it was a hot spot. The sketchy people, it came off to me like people came there thinking they'd be in the "woods", to get away from people so they could do their activities in private. But seemed to busy for that.

Grey Fox

Button Buck
South Mountain was stocked this week. The fish were probably not spread out very well due to low water. Unless you know the stocking points it could make for a slow day.

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
South Mountain was stocked this week. The fish were probably not spread out very well due to low water. Unless you know the stocking points it could make for a slow day.
I found a stocking point (I think!) on a local river and ya it was a crazy night on the water.

Jauwater

Nice. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your responses.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
It has been stocked twice in Oct and Nov, plenty fish just gotta use right thing and if by sketchy you mean boots dirty jeans and flannel shirt that was probably me as most I don't wear my Sunday best fishing

Jauwater

From the responses, I'm taking it that the sketchy people I speak about aren't commonly around. I'm not a judgemental person, and wasn't gonna post it in the thread, but people going off trail to hide behind rocks to drink alcohol, smoke weed, or crack, or meth, or whatever the hell was in their pipe, and give off an attitude like I'm bothering them. It comes off as sketchy. And it was more then 1. But I guess that's not a common thing, and I'll have to get back out there, and give it a try on a slower day.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
From the responses, I'm taking it that the sketchy people I speak about aren't commonly around. I'm not a judgemental person, and wasn't gonna post it in the thread, but people going off trail to hide behind rocks to drink alcohol, smoke weed, or crack, or meth, or whatever the hell was in their pipe, and give off an attitude like I'm bothering them. ,,,,,,,,,,

likely this dude,,,,I hear he has a "secret" spot up there and was likely worried you'd figure it out,,,,,,,,

7cee754b027469669342a11547e86a02.jpg

Jauwater

What's he got in the pipe?

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I normally don't see many trout in trout streams in western NC, either, including the ones that are full of fish. If you can see them, they are either spooked, or can also see you and aren't going to hit.

Last edited: