Herbicide for stumps

dearl

Four Pointer
Looking at clearing a new food plot soon. Hope to make it close to an acre, back deep in an oak stand. The small brush and trees I'll be clearing is mostly oak, maple and pine. What specific herbicide should I treat the stumps with to help get the rot process started for easier clearing come early spring? Thanks for any advise.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Full strength 41+% Glyphosate will work. I like Triclopyr for any hardwood control. Make sure you treat the stumps as soon as you cut the tree.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Either works well. The key is to paint it as soon as you cut, and be sure to get the cambium layer covered good.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm in a similar boat. I've never cleared an area in the woods for planting a large plot. Do I mulch the leaves and twigs? Rake the whole thing by hand, as I have no large equipment? Or till it all into the ground? Not trying to hijack your post, Dearl. I figured we're in the same ball park, just on different bases.

dearl

Four Pointer
I'm in a similar boat. I've never cleared an area in the woods for planting a large plot. Do I mulch the leaves and twigs? Rake the whole thing by hand, as I have no large equipment? Or till it all into the ground? Not trying to hijack your post, Dearl. I figured we're in the same ball park, just on different bases.

No problem, Figured I would cut everything out now, trying to get the stumps low as possible while treating with 41% Gly. Once the plot is cleared, give everything a once over by hand for limbs and sticks. Use the tractor and bush and bog disc to expose the soil. Then I'll use the root rake and try to remove as many stumps as I can. Not a lot of big stumps to worry about, mostly 1" - 2" oaks a few that will go 6" but those too will eventually come up. Looking to make this a White clover plot. I hope to have this one ready to plant late February. Next time out I'll get some pics and start a new Food plot thread.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Someone told me once that you could drill a hole into the top of a stump and fill the hole with Rid-X and it would rot faster. After you kill it with a mixture of Garlon and diesel fuel. :)

I imagine that a hole that fills with rain water would increase the rate of decomposition anyway.

Last edited:

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I like Trycera ar Garlon 15-20% solution mixed with some sort of penetrant. Garlon is oil based and you can use diesel fuel. I think Trycera is water based. For cut stump treatment I've always bought it premixed with penetrant and dye already in it. But 15 gallons runs about $500. And you literally need to treat within minutes of cutting for the best results, but if you do, you won't get any resprouting.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Or with the Garlon/Trycera you can literally paint the bottom 6-8 inches of the trunk without cutting the tree at all. It will kill most smaller trees, and make them easier to push up in the spring if you have the equipment to do it. If the diameter is bigger than 2-3 inches, you might try the hack and squirt method. Obviously both of these options revolve around you having the equipment to push them up later. If you're going to have to cut them with a chainsaw at some point, your best bet is to do it now and treat the stumps.

mmiller

Button Buck
Garlon or Crossbow work great for painting on. They both contain Triclopyr which is the :donk:donk:donk:donk on hardwood. A lot of people do a 50/50 combo of glyphosate and crossbow. Tordon and Tordon RTU can be used to treat larger stumps.

Hope this helps