Hot dogs rant

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
Growing up guess the cheapest was 50 cents and one place had 5 for $4. They always were so good and just about all the time the hot dog would fall through the bun from the loaded all the way condiments. Now days about everywhere you go they range from $2.50 to $7.00 per hot dog. What a rip off. But every where I order them now I order EXTRA MUSTARD, EXTRA CHILI, EXTRA ONIONS. Always down the road I find that there is one run of mustard maybe three chopped onions and less than a straw full of chili even after ordering extra for those high prices. Im all but done ordering hot dogs.

Another good one kept hearing Sheetz had good hot dogs three for a $1 So went to Sheetz to try them. Sure thing on the touch screen advertised three for $1. Placed order went to register to pay and three dogs $5 and some change. I brought to their attention AD said 3 for $1. Thats correct but we charge 50 cents per hot dog per condiment. 50 cents for mustard REALLY! Who orders hot dogs in a bun plain to eat besides KIDS!

Are you experiencing the same thing?

Targetshooter

One way or another they will get you . Hot dogs used to be the cheapest meal to but when your out and about , not anymore .

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Next time you are up here we will go to Nelson for lunch. Not sure but I think the hot dogs are still $1, maybe $1.25 but if you get it all the way you had better have a handful of napkins.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
They are certainly proud of there hot dogs most places.

One solid piece of advice...... avoid ordering a "cheese dog" in Alamance County. To me the "dog" part indicates a hot dog, but up there that just means a hunk of cheese on a bun in place of the hot dog.

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
That's weird they charged so much for condiments like mustard. I have eaten a lot of hotdogs at a lot of sheetz and the basics like mustard, ketchup etc.. Was free but things like chili and cheese were not. Maybe go back to sheetz and place another order and make sure to watch which are free or not.

tritonbuck

Eight Pointer
Several god ones in the piedmont. I like Doss' in Kernersville, Kermits and Pulliams in Winston, and for a good chain hot dog, Cookout is hard to beat. They all charge too much...

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I find it hard to even get a good hot dog anymore, and the prices in some places are way too high..Last good hot dog I had was at Smithfield Chicken and BBQ..

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Oasis in downtown monroe still makes a good hot dog. I haven't been there in 6+ months but the last time I was there I was shocked how cheap a sweat tea and 2 dogs all the way were. Chili, onions, mustard, and slaw. They are on the smaller side but still worth it. Now I need to make a visit.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
guess I am low rent,,,,,,,,,,,,Weiner Works in Fayette-nam are fine hot dogs to me!! especially that foot long with chili, onions, and mustard!!

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Agri Supply in Garner has a guy outside with a booth set up...have ate his and good...cant't remember price. Not got lot on ball for personality, but that is free. Guy out front of Wombles Hardware in Lillington has a good hot dog and very reasonable....must be good always a line waiting. .

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I just wish somebody would find the hot dog bun machines from the defunct Big Star grocery stores and put them back into operation. These buns were half pipe shaped that you could load up with goodies without them busting out at the bottom- and they had a good taste. As to the dogs themselves it is ludicrous what many places are charging for them and most are totally tasteless. Around here my favorite 2 places to get a good dog are Roast Grill downtown and a pair of Nathans from Jim's Ole' time Dogs in front of Lowe's on Walnut St (2 dogs, canned drink (Dr. Pepper for me) and bag of chips for $5). I prefer Nathans all beef over Bright Leaf red dogs but to each his own.

A wise man (former NC Governor Jim Martin) once told me there are 2 things a man should never see being made as it will make you sick to your stomach; one being the law and the other a hot dog!

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I find it hard to even get a good hot dog anymore, and the prices in some places are way too high..Last good hot dog I had was at Smithfield Chicken and BBQ..

Let me find some BRIGHT LEAF ....Carolina Packers dogs and I will make them myself!! I don't need no stinkin restaurant.

The boys in the eastern part of the state know what I am talkin about!

Last edited:

LawDog

Ten Pointer
Let me find some BRIGHT LEAF ....Carolina Packers dogs and I will make them myself!! I don't need no stinkin restaurant.

The boys in the eastern part of the state know what I am talkin about!

I grew up eating Carolina Packers and there is no other hotdog that can compare. Ed's in Angier has a really good hotdog.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
RJ's (Old Tasty Freeze) in Fuquay Varina has some good old red hotdogs. They have specials during the week for .99 cent per dog.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
there's a grill up from my dads that serves bright leaf dogs and they are 2 for 2.50 I think..maybe one of the best hot dogs I have found honestly......worst hot dogs in the world are at dick's hot dogs here in Wilson.............

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Several god ones in the piedmont. I like Doss' in Kernersville, Kermits and Pulliams in Winston, and for a good chain hot dog, Cookout is hard to beat. They all charge too much...

x 2 on Kermit's.....can't pas that place without stopping in for one or 5......

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Best Carolina Packer I have found when not cooking at home.

Cricket's Grill in downtown Smithfield. 2 for $1.65

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have not found one good hotdog in the area. It's not the hotdog that makes a good hotdog - it's the chili that is put on top of it. I have not found anyone that makes a good homemade chili. Every restaurant or vendor opens up a can of chili and reheats it. There was a hotdog place in Morgantown, WV that made a killer chili. They made two pots of homemade chili each day - one hot and one mild. If you wanted medium heat, they put a little of both on top of the hotdog. The hotdogs themselves were average. The chili was great. Occasionally when traveling near Morgantown, I'll buy a quart of the chili to bring back with me.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
I have not found one good hotdog in the area. It's not the hotdog that makes a good hotdog - it's the chili that is put on top of it. I have not found anyone that makes a good homemade chili. Every restaurant or vendor opens up a can of chili and reheats it. There was a hotdog place in Morgantown, WV that made a killer chili. They made two pots of homemade chili each day - one hot and one mild. If you wanted medium heat, they put a little of both on top of the hotdog. The hotdogs themselves were average. The chili was great. Occasionally when traveling near Morgantown, I'll buy a quart of the chili to bring back with me.

If you like a unique chili you should try Bill's Hot Dogs in Washington, NC or Warren's in Greenville.

Bill's started it and Warren's is a close copy.

clrj3514

Eight Pointer
They're not cheap, but Ward's Grill in Whiteville (Columbus County) makes an awesome hot dog & burger. I get mine with just ketchup like I do anywhere, but "all the way" is mustard, chili, and onions. They're definitely not stingy with the condiments. I can vouch for their chili being good as I've had a burger with it on it before.