Hot dogs rant

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Burger Barn in Warrenton has the best damn hotdog in the state. Brightleaf in the bag is the only hotdog I will buy and boiled is the only way I want to eat them.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
They are certainly proud of there hot dogs most places.

One solid piece of advice...... avoid ordering a "cheese dog" in Alamance County. To me the "dog" part indicates a hot dog, but up there that just means a hunk of cheese on a bun in place of the hot dog.

just ask for a combo dog and you'll be fine. and it's not just alamance county. :)

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Here, at Red Oak Cafe' on NC 43 North about 4 miles north from I-95 exit 141 (us locals call it the grill) I think they are $1.25, but all the way is all the way. They are even the same price with slaw. You can even request it to be fried, just the dog though. LOL

If I go through Greenville, NC, there won't be many times I'm not going to stop and get me some from Warren's. You get a fried hot dog with mustard or all the way, which is a fried hot dog with mustard and their chilli sauce. Caution they are a little spicy, but I love them things.

Smithfield Chicken and BBQ has a good hot dog. I don't think any one would complain about one all the way not being loaded. Price is $1.89 though.

Last edited:

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
just ask for a combo dog and you'll be fine. and it's not just alamance county. :)

I will go to my grave yelling that a "dog" in the name indicates a hot dog or some sort of meat in a casing is inside the bun.

Just false advertisement any other way in my opinion. ;)

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
Boiled hotdog? Why would you ruin a perfectly good dog the turn to mush fried smoked or grilled only way I will eat them

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Boiled hotdog? Why would you ruin a perfectly good dog the turn to mush fried smoked or grilled only way I will eat them

I agree, but many around here boil hot dogs and I can eat them as long as they haven't been swimming to long.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
A wise man (former NC Governor Jim Martin) once told me there are 2 things a man should never see being made as it will make you sick to your stomach; one being the law and the other a hot dog!

I work for a consulting firm and I've been in some hot dog plants for work, the Gov didn't lie to you. We had hired a new employee and he was tagging along with me on the job. He had a pack of hot dogs in his refrigerator from the same manufacturer that we were visiting. When we left the plant that day, I asked him if he was going home to eat his hot dogs, and he said he was going home to throw them away. I've also seen what chicken plants send to the hot dog plants, I'll pass!

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Ain't nothing wrong with lips and peckers if they're "mechanically separated" enough.

Last edited:

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Dairy Dell Hwy 58 in South Boston VA......anybody ever came to Atlanta to see the Braves probably eat at the Varsity....they have good dogs and chilli cheeseburgers.......on a good day they sell 2 miles of hot dogs and 1 ton of onion rings!

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I like hot dogs that taste good themselves, then you don't have to put ten pounds of crap on them to get them ate.

C52

Eight Pointer
there's a grill up from my dads that serves bright leaf dogs and they are 2 for 2.50 I think..maybe one of the best hot dogs I have found honestly......worst hot dogs in the world are at dick's hot dogs here in Wilson.............

You mean the "world famous" dicks hotdogs? Yeah, I agree. I always liked burger boys hotdogs, but they aren't the same since that the tobacco warehouse closed years ago.

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
If you ever get the chance... Bens chili bowl in DC is about the best I've ever eaten. On the other end of the spectrum.... I enjoy when Sonics has $.50 hotdogs. Usually snag me up 10 coney islands and a drink for about $7

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Hot dog, eat em cold on a slice of bread, boiled, fried or grilled. I grew up on Frosty Morn products.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My grandma used to boil them and it would turn the water red...LOL

My Granddad worked for Carolina Packers for 35 years. He would bring me a 10 lb box of those dogs every couple of weeks. I still love them to this day! The Bologna is good too!!

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
My Granddad worked for Carolina Packers for 35 years. He would bring me a 10 lb box of those dogs every couple of weeks. I still love them to this day! The Bologna is good too!!

and the red hots they make......nothing like a red hot split open, thrown on the flattop grill and on a piece of bread with mayo and cheese

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Smart man. The only time my grandfather and I ever had cross words were arguing about fried vs boiled hot dogs and Brightleaf vs Jesse Jones. I respected everything about the man except his taste in hot dogs.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Dont know where youre located but if you are ever around Clayton go by Percy Flowers believe theyre 99c after 3pm or somethin like that and theyll put how much whatever on it. All the way is loaded.... And brightleafs too i cant stand a brown hotdog

apexhunter

Ten Pointer

As I stated before Bright Leaf hot dogs aren't my favorite (I will eat them however) but you are correct about their Bull Lips (what we call bologna)...it is good and has enough fat inside to do a good fried bologna sammich.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you're in Rocky Point, try Paul's Place for an exceptional hot dog

i will disagree, I've eaten there twice and neither time were they good. too each their own. I'm a brightleaf guy myself. however, there's not many that I won't eat grilled or boiled. Hadn't had a red hot in forever, might me time tho throw one on the grill

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Friendly Marts around here usually have a special, 2 hot dogs (BrightLeaf) small bag chips and can pepsi for like $3.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Love me some red hot dogs, but my favorite is a Fenway frank...MAN them things are GOOOOD!

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Several god ones in the piedmont. I like Doss' in Kernersville, Kermits and Pulliams in Winston, and for a good chain hot dog, Cookout is hard to beat. They all charge too much...
Yes! All three are awesome, but a dog with chili cheese and onions from pulliams is my favorite hotdog on earth. Pair 3 of those with a chocolate milk and this fat boy is one happy camper! Lol

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

Last edited: