• Yes, for recreational use and medicinal purposes

Votes: 93 57.1%
  • No, it's an illegal drug and should stay that way

Votes: 40 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CarolinaReaper

Thank You!

I really do apprecaite all the input, valid points and votes on the poll. The paper and results will be turned in on Friday of this week. So please, if you haven't voted on the poll, do it before then.

With that said, I will go ahead and plead my case as to why I am for legalizing it for recreational use. Let's start off with the whole weed VS alcohol thing. I never drink any alcohol. Ever. I never liked the taste, but that ain't really why. My mom was and is a raging alcoholic. Has been her whole life. Drinks EVERY day. My pop and her divorced a while back due to her always being drunk. 9/10 times he would come home from work, try to catch some sleep and she would be hammered drunk and wanting to argue about something and it would always escalate from there. She lost her license, her family and can't hold down a job at all. I will NEVER be like that. I know some of those traits are hereditary and I will not be taking my chances. To my knowledge, there are ZERO people mentally addicted to pot.

Now, a lot of folks seem to think that pot is just as bad or worse than prescription meds. Not to say any of the forum members do, but to this, I say you have no idea what your talking about. Almost every prescription med is a watered down version of Heroin. My dad has several friends he's known his whole life that are irrevocably addicted to pain meds/Rx meds. Xanax, klonopin, roxycodone, oxycodone, adderall etc. Their entire lives revolve around where the next pill is coming from. It is nothing short of a sickness, that causes millions to die from overdose globally, every single year. What's worse is the GOV would rather have you addicted to their expensive, deadly, habit forming drug, then to legalize a friggin plant that would seriously put a damper on there business and most likely overall save peoples lives.

Those are my reasons for voting for legalizing for rec use. Less lifelong alcoholics, less people addicted essentially to Heroin and getting them out from under a doctor's thumb or worse a drug dealers and making the state A TON OF CASH. That could be used for literally everything. Plus, it frees LEO's up to handle much more important crimes.

hqdefault.jpg
major-health-benefits-of-medical-marijuana.jpg

Attachments

• cannabis-vs-other-drugs-deaths.jpg
    cannabis-vs-other-drugs-deaths.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I spent 6 months on St Vincent and the Grenadines back in '83-'84,,,,,,never saw so many "Ganga boys" in my life,,,,,,,all upstanding (not) citizens,,,,,,,,,none held a job other than metal band (as in trash cans),,,,,,,,,,,,

CarolinaReaper

We get it, you like weed.

Yes, nccatfisher, after taking the time to type out that whole post, that's what I hoped you would come away with.

It isn't so much that I like weed, rather I deeply loath alcohol and Rx meds. It's all about $$$$$$$$. The people in charge would much rather have you line up every week to get your prescription filled or to head to the local ABC store, rather than legally being able to not need either of those, and fill the need with a much safer alternative that grows out of the ground. That would be the chief point I am trying to make.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got one word for any person, community or culture that truly believes they can sanction or tolerate the use of MJ without suffering a considerable consequence ...... FOOLS!

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Those might be the dumbest restrictions I've ever heard... you must not be up to date on the amount of alcoholics/ pill heads who are behind the wheel of a car right now as I type this probably driving little johnny to school.

Ps more then half of them are probably on government assistance as well!

It takes a certain strength of mind to tell sarcasm from truth, and I don't think pot smokers or some in this thread can distinguish either.

CarolinaReaper

according to the State of Colorado (and likely others, but it's not my paper to defend), your last picture is false,,,,,,,,get your data straight for that paper of yours,,,,,,,,,,,research Sir research!!

Will do Woodmoose. I am just trying to get my point across is all.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, nccatfisher, after taking the time to type out that whole post, that's what I hoped you would come away with.

It isn't so much that I like weed, rather I deeply loath alcohol and Rx meds. It's all about $$$$$$$$. The people in charge would much rather have you line up every week to get your prescription filled or to head to the local ABC store, rather than legally being able to not need either of those, and fill the need with a much safer alternative that grows out of the ground. That would be the chief point I am trying to make.

Soooo.... Moreso than actual poll results, you're attempting to sway others to your point of view. Would that alter the validity of said poll? I have always been of the opinion that a pollster should be completely neutral as far as their voiced opinion of the questions asked. Your argument(s) in this have, imo, completely invalidated any results you get.

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If the data don't back up your point then your point is invalid and you should reevaluate it.

CarolinaReaper

Soooo.... Moreso than actual poll results, you're attempting to sway others to your point of view. Would that alter the validity of said poll? I have always been of the opinion that a pollster should be completely neutral as far as their voiced opinion of the questions asked. Your argument(s) in this have, imo, completely invalidated any results you get.

I don't believe I have the power to sway anyone. The posts I'v made are nothing more than my opinion. Everyone has one, thus my need for the poll. If the points I am making are valid enough to make a person change their mind on the question at hand, then perhaps the choice they had in mind wasn't the best one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

Like what happened with the political polls this year.

Just running a poll on this forum and representing it as what residents of NC think invalidates the poll.

oteixeira

Four Pointer
CR, you are defending your paper from the side you want. That is a good thing, just like Woodmoose said, stick to the facts. I am probably going to get hammered for this, but as a Libertarian I am for ALL drugs being legal. I don't think the government should have laws limiting what I can eat, drink, ingest, etc. That being said, I have never taken any "illegal" drugs, but have been on "legal" medicine that is derived from opium poppy plants, and worse. Put your head around that for a minute, try to grow some of that and see how quick you will be in jail (another government big business that will stop drugs from being made legal). Yea, go ahead, call me an extremest, I am ready for it.

For those who dont know, that one plant makes:
Morphine (Avinza, Duramorph)
Heroin
Cocaine
Codeine (Codeine)
Hashish

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
CR, you are defending your paper from the side you want. That is a good thing, just like Woodmoose said, stick to the facts. I am probably going to get hammered for this, but as a Libertarian I am for ALL drugs being legal. I don't think the government should have laws limiting what I can eat, drink, ingest, etc. That being said, I have never taken any "illegal" drugs, but have been on "legal" medicine that is derived from opium poppy plants, and worse. Put your head around that for a minute, try to grow some of that and see how quick you will be in jail (another government big business that will stop drugs from being made legal). Yea, go ahead, call me an extremest, I am ready for it.

Heroin
Cocaine
Codeine (Codeine)
Hashish

Wrong...two plants

JD1107

Cocaine and hash aren't made from poppy plants. Hash comes marijuana and cocaine comes from coco plants.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
If the data don't back up your point then your point is invalid and you should reevaluate it.

So true. Years ago, I once wrote a paper defending anabolic steroid use. My findings were positive regarding strength, size, and speed gains, but very negative in regards to health adverse affects and my conclusion was something to the effect of "They're great, GIMMEE GIMMEEE GIMMEEEEEE." My teacher seemed slackjawed by my [lack of] balanced reasoning.

I know you're thinking, "He ain't changed a bit, either." :D

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

So, you're good with a pollster steering the results in the direction they want them to go? Sorta like so many of the presidential polls were manipulated...

nchunt101

Ten Pointer

Heroin
Cocaine
Codeine (Codeine)
Hashish

Three plants coca=cocaine, Maijunana=Hash. rest from poppies.

CarolinaReaper

So, you're good with a pollster steering the results in the direction they want them to go? Sorta like so many of the presidential polls were manipulated...

That isn't what Tipmoose was trying to say. You have basically stated twice now that I have the ability to sway others opinions here. I VERY seriously doubt that I can make anyone make a choice other than the one they already had in mind. I am simply stating the known facts regarding Marijuana vs other narcotics, alcohol,etc.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Of course Carolina Reaper's paper is written from a "persuasion" viewpoint. Probably what the assignment is asking for, in this case determining a valid way of helping the financial interests of the State. I see no harm in him attempting to persuade to his heart's content. It would be good though to make sure your facts are right. Nothing worse than persuading from an incorrect statement or anecdote.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't think you followed my argument at all.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CarolinaReaper

Of course Carolina Reaper's paper is written from a "persuasion" viewpoint. Probably what the assignment is asking for, in this case determining a valid way of helping the financial interests of the State. I see no harm in him attempting to persuade to his heart's content. It would be good though to make sure your facts are right. Nothing worse than persuading from an incorrect statement or anecdote.

Appreciate that nchunter2. I couldn't agree more with your point on dealing in correct facts.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
That isn't what Tipmoose was trying to say. You have basically stated twice now that I have the ability to sway others opinions here. I VERY seriously doubt that I can make anyone make a choice other than the one they already had in mind. I am simply stating the known facts regarding Marijuana vs other narcotics, alcohol,etc.

Even if you think you can't change anyone's opinion, by asking here you are not getting a very diverse cross-section of the population.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't think you followed my argument at all.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I take it that he is trying to manipulate data (or only receive favorable data).

So, if the data he would have recieved without his interference in the dialog didn't support his purpose, his time would be wasted. Since he has a deadline for the paper, I also feel he is trying to get his desired results through that manipulation. If others, like myself, see it in this way, he will not get an across the board participation, thus skewing the results in his favor.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

And you didn't understand what I was trying to say.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I take it that he is trying to manipulate data (or only receive favorable data).

So, if the data he would have recieved without his interference in the dialog didn't support his purpose, his time would be wasted. Since he has a deadline for the paper, I also feel he is trying to get his desired results through that manipulation. If others, like myself, see it in this way, he will not get an across the board participation, thus skewing the results in his favor.

That is correct. What I was referring to was woodmoose telling him that Colorado had shown one of his figures to be incorrect. He replied with the fact that he was only trying to make a point. That led me to say "if the data don't match your point, then your point is invalid." What I should have said was "If the data don't match your point then either your data or your point or possibly both are invalid".

I am in no way saying its okay for pollsters to change the data to match their point or goal. Data has to be the driver of results, IMHO. So if the data isn't good the whole thing isn't good.