Will this buck live???

lbksmom

Banned
It was a quick decision, he come out of nowhere going away from me, he stopped 40 yds. I tried for the back of his shoulders to hit his spine. 8 pt. 130 class I waited 1 hr did a circle 100yds jumped him from where he lied a little, nice bright bubble red blood, and a couple drops after that. I backed out for 3hrs circled out to 300 yds. no sign. Of course no exit hole. Going out again to look. Has anyone else done this stupid shot and what was the outcome. Thanks:skeerd:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not really enough info to be able to give you an idea as to outcome. You were trying for his spine. Do you have an idea of where you may have actually hit it?

Just curious: was the circling tactic the first thing you tried? Did you try straight-out blood tracking it first?

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
I was thinking bright red bubble blood sounded like you got some lung, but I could be wrong.

lbksmom

Banned
I used a Remington .243 with ballistic tip bullet. I circled because no exit and no blood. I assume I went just right of his spine by his shoulder/neck meet, I was 16' ladder stand shooting down and he was facing straight away. I had no luck finding or jumping up this PM. He is a resident buck, I had him on camera in the past. If he lives I will see him again?

redbow

Ten Pointer
I hope you find him and I respectfully suggest you don't attempt a shot like that in the future. Keep us posted.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I hope you find him and I respectfully suggest you don't attempt a shot like that in the future. Keep us posted.

But if you do any deer walking away from you, the better shot is right in the ham or a Texas Heart shot (right in the butt)

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I have killed several with the Texas Heart shot, but not my favorite. Usually it was after they had winded me or were on the move behind some does.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Sounds like you got one lung. He is dead, but they can travel a long ways with that hit.

Last edited:

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Red, bubbly blood may mean you hit a lung. Take a dog, even a yard dog to trail him. It's amazing how hard they can be to find sometimes.