Vacuum sealing

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
For those of you who are vacuum sealing your catches, have you had any issues with fins puncturing your bags. We've not had a food saver in many years because the price of bags got outrageous for a while, but I was considering getting another one. I fillet most of our fish, but I'd just assume fry them whole with the heads cut off.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Just cut the fins off. When I pack lobster tails I have to cut off all the spines or they wil put pin holes in the bag.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
If you cruise on over to vacuumsealserunlimited.com you'll find that they have very high quality bags for less than the Foodsaver rolls cost. We've used them for years and have never had a bag or a seal fail. We get our Foodsaver style bags and the bags for our chamber vacuum sealer from them. Lisa gives great service and is happy to answer any questions you've got about machines bags or anything else they sell.

The offer a bone guard, too but cutting the fins off works well. If you are worried abolut sharp bone you might try the Ultra bags.

They also sell long skinny bags great for large fish fillets or whole large fish. Around here folks use them for salmon and steelhead trout. You'll also find zipper bags and other hard to find stuff. If you check out smokingmeatforums.com there is generally a 10% off coupon listed there each month although you may have to register to see it.

Here's the link to the bone guard: http://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/Bone-Guard-40720.htm

Good luck and good fishing,

Lance

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Thanks for that Lance, I have a FoodSaver and I have had issues with the bags not sealing and staying closed lately. I am thinking it might be the age of the bags.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The only problems I've ever had have been with shrimp. I usually only head them and wash them before sealing and sometimes a tail with punch through...

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
If you cruise on over to vacuumsealserunlimited.com you'll find that they have very high quality bags for less than the Foodsaver rolls cost. We've used them for years and have never had a bag or a seal fail. We get our Foodsaver style bags and the bags for our chamber vacuum sealer from them. Lisa gives great service and is happy to answer any questions you've got about machines bags or anything else they sell.

The offer a bone guard, too but cutting the fins off works well. If you are worried abolut sharp bone you might try the Ultra bags.

They also sell long skinny bags great for large fish fillets or whole large fish. Around here folks use them for salmon and steelhead trout. You'll also find zipper bags and other hard to find stuff. If you check out smokingmeatforums.com there is generally a 10% off coupon listed there each month although you may have to register to see it.

Here's the link to the bone guard: http://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/Bone-Guard-40720.htm

Good luck and good fishing,

Lance

Thanks for this link Lance!