Hoppes Bore Snake

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Anyone ever used one of these. I picked one up some time ago and tried it on my .22 recently. I say tried, because I could never get the small end to "drop easily down the barrel". Is there a secret I don't know? Even after a conventional cleaning, the metal tip still won't drop down the barrel.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have used and love them on a shotgun.. never tried one on small tight barrel like a .22

mikep7m10

Six Pointer
Never had problem with mine. Just fed it in through the breach end while holding the barrel vertical. BTW, I prefer the Otis Ripcord. No hard evidence but I think it does a better job.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I use them for all my rifles and hand guns. However, I do not have one for .22 oddly. I can see with the small bore that it may be more difficult to drop through. Sounds like they need more weight.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ive never had a problem with any of my bore snakes feeding through the barrel. I love them.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Wipe it light with oil and hang it with a weight on the end.
or clamp the small end in a vise then bungy on the other end.

Some times they are just to much fluff to the string.
It should work fine after that.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Same as Tip here on my end.....no issues what so ever with the 22 dropping down the barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Thanks for the help guys. Just confirms that I'm dumb. LOL. Can't even get a weighted string to go down a straight hole.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Get a drill and make the hole bigger so it fits....

Same most never a problem on mine.
use them all the time on AR15, 03, m1a......

Excursion

Ten Pointer
If they are new they can be a pain to get down the barrel. We had to shake it hard to get it to move the weight down far enough. after you use the bore snake for awhile it will slide down much easier.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sometimes when they're new they can be tight, but I use them for several calibers in rifle / pistol / shotguns, and I wouldn't be without them.

Check to see if its the right size - maybe the company made a mistake and packaged the wrong size - the brass tip should have "22" stamped on it.

Last edited:

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use them in every shotgun, rifle, and handgun I own....never had a problem with any caliber...I use them with eezox and nothing else, and everything is clean and ready to shoot next time I pick it up

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I use them on my shotguns and all I can say is they are GREAT

never had a problem with the rope on them and I have 3.