Snow tubing

jim67

Eight Pointer
I thought I would ask if anybody has gone snow tubing in or around here NC or WV? If so, what are some fun places? I plan on taking somebody in December for an overnight trip. Thanks.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
We took the boys a few years ago. Wear waterproof bibs, no fun being wet and cold...

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I thought I would ask if anybody has gone snow tubing in or around here NC or WV? If so, what are some fun places? I plan on taking somebody in December for an overnight trip. Thanks.

You looking for a snow tubing location for when there is snow on the ground or an actual business that creates it's own snow?

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
When I went to the slopes in WV years ago, at night they kept the snow tube lanes open VERY late. It was quite awesome. Could be a memorable time with just friends, or quite the "date night" as well! I think we were at wintergreen?

DSparx

Ten Pointer
Be careful if you go to Winter Place in WV, and you're a big boy! That little berm at the end meant to stop you don't work so well if'n you're a big kid at full speed. Just a word of warning coming from experience.

miketphoto

Eight Pointer
I don't remember the name of the place but we went several years ago to one near Valle Crucis that was great. They had the ability to make snow, had 5 lanes, and a cable lift to take you back to the top. It wasn't fancy but it was reasonably priced and we had great time.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Be careful if you go to Winter Place in WV, and you're a big boy! That little berm at the end meant to stop you don't work so well if'n you're a big kid at full speed. Just a word of warning coming from experience.

Sounds like a Clark W. Griswold story here. Please share more!!!

DSparx

Ten Pointer
Sounds like a Clark W. Griswold story here. Please share more!!!

It really was! At the time, I was probably about 250 lbs, and I'm 6'4ish. Didn't drag my feet at all and barreled off down the tubing chute. Toward the end, there is a level spot that is supposed to slow you down, and then about a 2' berm at the very end to stop you. Didn't stop my big butt! Over the berm I went and then down about a 50' drop on the back side straight down toward the asphalt entrance road. Luckily, they had some of that orange safety netting about 15-20 feet down, and got snagged in that like a spider. There was a lady down on the asphalt road walking her dog, and she thought I was coming down to join her. I could clearly see her eyes as big as dinner plates, and it was dark. She asked if I was OK, and I was able to mouth a little something as I clawed my way back up the hill. Long story short...just drag your boots a little bit when you get close to the end of those tubing chutes. :)

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hawk's Nest outside of Boone. We've been a couple of times and it's fun.

Fat boys rule Snow tubing!!!!!!

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
It really was! At the time, I was probably about 250 lbs, and I'm 6'4ish. Didn't drag my feet at all and barreled off down the tubing chute. Toward the end, there is a level spot that is supposed to slow you down, and then about a 2' berm at the very end to stop you. Didn't stop my big butt! Over the berm I went and then down about a 50' drop on the back side straight down toward the asphalt entrance road. Luckily, they had some of that orange safety netting about 15-20 feet down, and got snagged in that like a spider. There was a lady down on the asphalt road walking her dog, and she thought I was coming down to join her. I could clearly see her eyes as big as dinner plates, and it was dark. She asked if I was OK, and I was able to mouth a little something as I clawed my way back up the hill. Long story short...just drag your boots a little bit when you get close to the end of those tubing chutes. :)

ROFL. Great story, sir. I can totally picture that happening. Thanks for the pro tip on big guy tubing, too!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

Another warning is not to put your butt too far down into the tube. I did that once and paid the price when going over a bump on the hill. I bruised my tail bone.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Another warning is not to put your butt too far down into the tube. I did that once and paid the price when going over a bump on the hill. I bruised my tail bone.

Oh, that brought back memories. Dad, me, and a friend were riding a tobabban sled down the lawn of the president's house at a local college one snowy night. We screwed up on our third trip down and hit a concrete ditch at full speed; it was mostly covered by snow and hard to tell where it was. Ouch city. Lucky we didn't break any bones. Each of us had a purple welt on our butts and a whopper of a headache.