Am I wrong???

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've only been hunting for about 6 years and I have always field dressed the deer before taking it to the processors or off the property. Today and almost every time I go to the processing place I notice the other dear on the tables are as they were shot not field dressed or skinned,,no is that ok or normal??I've always been taught to do so and was just wondering it it's common or just my timing??,,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I cut my own deer up so no need to field dress I just hang and debone right at spot, but as far as processors the ones I know of won't take one unless guts and internal organs have been removed as matter fact guy I know at meat store in Taylorsville told me it was against regulations for the to take it now they buther other meats as well not sure if that has something to do with it maybe if they do deer only its OK I do know some places will take em but they have an outside area set up where they will dress and skin em before they go into the actual store. I just can;t see paying someone to do it I can maybe see the getting the meat cut but pay someone to gut and skin it just no way you'd have lot money tied up in few deer real quick

Windy gap

Four Pointer
Lots of people don't want to do the work they just want to shoot em throw em on the truck and pay someone else to do it. I don't have the money to do that. I like handling my own deer/meat to me that's part of the experience.but to each their own as long as the meats not being wasted

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
I dont field dress a deer unless Im more than an hours drive from a skinning stand...which I am never an hours drive from.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
My buddy owns a processing location. He ask that you do not do anything to the deer except drop them off.

His reason is that most folks mess it up and it turns into more work for him. He is going to haul off most of it already so no more work there. Hair and internal contents slow down the butchering process when you are trying to do a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curly84

I can see their point
I gut my deer where it expires always have always will, have for 48 years,split the pelvis, cut out the bunghole take every thing out, it's my deer why make someone else do it.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
We use to gut. Haven't done so in 15 years. Hang and skin with guts in it. No mess, no gut piles on your land, and you just haul it off as one big carcass instead of peices. Works for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
I drop off at the processor without doing anything to it. He asks for it that way. Plus as stated before, people messing it up makes for more work for them.

Kayak

Button Buck
Just curious....how much meat could one buy at the grocery store for the price that a processor would charge for one deer?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The processor in my area charges $90/deer untouched or $1.75/lb for fat added burger if you bring it in meat off the bone. I got 36 lbs. of burger back last time which cost $63. Try to get that price at the grocery store.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
At my club we don't gut them in the field any more.......no need adding to the coyote's winter fat diet!! :mad:

Now, if some of the members want to do some coyote hunting we'll leave an occasional gutpile.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I cut my own deer up so no need to field dress I just hang and debone right at spot, but as far as processors the ones I know of won't take one unless guts and internal organs have been removed as matter fact guy I know at meat store in Taylorsville told me it was against regulations for the to take it now they buther other meats as well not sure if that has something to do with it maybe if they do deer only its OK I do know some places will take em but they have an outside area set up where they will dress and skin em before they go into the actual store. I just can;t see paying someone to do it I can maybe see the getting the meat cut but pay someone to gut and skin it just no way you'd have lot money tied up in few deer real quick

Turkeyfoot, I always look forward to reading your posts!! Please don't take this wrong, but after reading them for a 2nd or 3rd time I find that you're very informative!! :mosh:

safe_text.jpg

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
I used a guy in Henderson the past several years named Mike. I always gut and skin mine out, take to him for butchering. Depending on what I want...I end up paying $40-$60 which I find to be a very fair price. He will age in his walkin if you want him to also.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
I believe a processor would rather you bring it to them whole. Less of a chance for their clean work area to be contaminated.

RedneckBowhunter

Since I have to drag all my deer out by hand most of the time I gut them where they fall or close by. I have killed deer in the evening gut them where they fell and seen deer walk right by it the next day. So from personal experience it Dosent bother the deer. Plus getting rid of 30-40lbs of weight always helps the drag.

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
I used a guy in Henderson the past several years named Mike. I always gut and skin mine out, take to him for butchering. Depending on what I want...I end up paying $40-$60 which I find to be a very fair price. He will age in his walkin if you want him to also.

That's a steal. Guy around here charges 80 which I believe is pretty fair.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My guy charges 70 bucks for the whole deer. I don't calculate it out as far price per lb. cause then I would have to start counting guns, ammo, stands, camo, land, gas, wear and tear on vehicle, and time

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just curious....how much meat could one buy at the grocery store for the price that a processor would charge for one deer?
A lot.

If you started adding up the cost per pound of venison, (processor fee, money invested in gun /gear, time spent hunting, etc,) you'd quit hunting and spend the money on filet mignon and lobster.

Most processors charge from $80 - 120 to process a deer. You usually get 30 lbs back on average. That works out to be about $3/ $4 a pound, on average.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I gut every one I kill, either in the woods or at the skinning shed. Always have and probably always will. I do my own butchering and grinding. The only time I take anything to a butcher or processor is if I have a very productive week, (at least 3 deer). Then I will take them to have them ground. But, I still do all the de-boning and cut the meat into chunks, and add the percentage of beef fat I want. All they have to do is dump in in the grinder and wrap it.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have never field dressed a deer I killed.. never needed too. Helped others a couple of times. Some processors are set up to do the whole job others just to cut the meat. Not sure there is a right or wrong just what you are used to

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
A lot.

If you started adding up the cost per pound of venison, (processor fee, money invested in gun /gear, time spent hunting, etc,) you'd quit hunting and spend the money on filet mignon and lobster.

Most processors charge from $80 - 120 to process a deer. You usually get 30 lbs back on average. That works out to be about $3/ $4 a pound, on average.

Good grief! We just picked up 188 lbs of processed and vacuum sealed burger with fat added, sausage and cube steak. Paid about $150 for it all.

curly84

How long!

If you take a deer to a prosseser and there are 30 /40 deer ahead of you how long before they get to you're deer 2or 3 hours? maybe longer, I think I will always gut mine in the woods [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I bring my deer to the processor gutted and skinned. He won't put it in the cooler unless that's done. I think you can also pay him to do it if you're in a hurry (... like late for work).

I end up paying on avg about $1.80 / lb for burger, cube steak, stew meat, roasts, etc...

Last edited: