The Kid With The Horseshoe

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Took my son in the blind with me for the first time this morning, and this kid is hiding a horseshoe somewhere. We were out to get one last deer for the freezer, so after watching a doe for a couple of minutes, I took the shot when she turned broadside. That was 7:45. Despite him berating me to go track it, I told him we should at least sit until 9. At 8:45 a 5-point walked into the lane. After filming him for a couple of minutes, a much bigger rack popped out of the pines and into the lane. I knew it was a good 8 point that had been hanging around for a few weeks, so when he stepped into the lane, I put a 62 gr. TSX through his shoulder. Dropped like a rock...

The only downside is when I pulled his rack up, I saw he had just in the last week broken off part of both tines on the far side.

What a Thanksgiving! The Lord blessed us with a great hunt this morning.

I took my son on his first turkey hunt this spring and after watching a big tom all morning, we had another one come charging in behind us to the gun. This morning, on his first deer hunt we got two, with a nice buck to boot. I hope by the time he becomes the trigger man, he doesn't have too high of expectations. This guy is the best good luck charm I've seen. He was stoked!

Last edited:

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Can I borrow, I mean, take him with me tomorrow morning?
Yeah, you be careful or he will expect those kind of results all of the time! But if he went with me, reality would sink in real quick!
Nice buck and time spent with your son! Congratulations buddy!

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Good Stuff Sky Hawk, heard of land leasing, you may need to start kid leasing. Nothing like the memories you two made together today!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice buck!! Was you using a .223??

Yessir. With the Barnes bullets it is impressive.

I will add that his grandfather hunted this blind yesterday and didn't see a single deer morning or evening. But he didn't have my good luck charm.😉

Last edited:

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
Yessir. With the Barnes bullets it is impressive.

I will add that his grandfather hunted this blind yesterday and didn't see a single deer morning or evening. But he didn't have my good luck charm.[emoji6]

I use 223 to take 1 or 2 doe with every year. My favorite load has been the Winchester 64 grain power point . I'm glad to see the 223 getting some love it's a great little round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Targetshooter

Avery nice pair , congrats to you both . Great team work .

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
That is freakin AWESOME! He's hooked for life. That's the same thing I did with my son & he can't get enough of it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Congrats. Don't worry about the good luck wearing off. I killed deer practically every time I took my oldest son, back before he was the trigger man. After he turned 7 and into his second season at 8 he killed deer in 3 of his first four sits and hasn't really slowed down. Only downside is I think he got all his younger brothers luck. It took forever for me to get one with him in tow and this is his first year behind a gun and we're at like 0 shot opportunities in 6 hunts and counting.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
An excellent hunt that you both will remember and talk about in coming years. The memories made that day will be the treasures of tomorrow. My dad and i shared hunts and now that he is gone those memories mean far more to me than the antlers. Congratulations on your hunt!