December deer hunting

Huffy

Eight Pointer
I see and kill a lot of deer in December. I do hunt over corn some but mainly when its the coldest weather we have had all year. I like cold windy days they have got to get up and move. I also hunt the MOON I really like the full moon in December, I've killed a lot of deer on the December full moon. we all know a full moon makes deer move mid day, if its cold and the corn has been out ill go in about 7:30-8 am and sit the remainder of the day and ill kill most of my deer between 10&2, this has worked great for me in the past and I got a trip planed out east in Martian county planned for December 12-17 with the full moon being December 13

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Me too, worst year ever. Usually have at least 2 deer on the ground by now, but I cant hardly even see any. Moving into December, I'm going to hunt a way I never did, over corn. I have 2 feeders that I'm putting out front of my stands. There's a fresh cutover across the street on our lease that I'm going to start exploring also. It was logged over the summer. I need to keep my streak alive; bagging at least 1 deer every year (since 2007) Time to take evasive action!

IF the feeders you plan to put out are battery operated, chances are good you will not see any deer there this season. It does take a while for them to adjust to those. Gravity feed units may work ok, but I think you would be better to just broadcast it on the ground. Will take more but I believe your results will be better.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Seems like I kill more deer in December than any other time. Deer start hitting food sources and I shot a 6pt a few years ago on December 15th chasing does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
IF the feeders you plan to put out are battery operated, chances are good you will not see any deer there this season. It does take a while for them to adjust to those. Gravity feed units may work ok, but I think you would be better to just broadcast it on the ground. Will take more but I believe your results will be better.

They are gravity feeders.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Me too, worst year ever. Usually have at least 2 deer on the ground by now, but I cant hardly even see any. Moving into December, I'm going to hunt a way I never did, over corn. I have 2 feeders that I'm putting out front of my stands. There's a fresh cutover across the street on our lease that I'm going to start exploring also. It was logged over the summer. I need to keep my streak alive; bagging at least 1 deer every year (since 2007) Time to take evasive action!

you will be kicking yourself for not hunting that fresh cutover. do yourself a favor and get there and hunt asap.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Haven't had a lot of luck killing good bucks in Dec. Only seen one shooter that I can remember and it wasn't legal light yet. Does are easy pickings when it gets cold and I have seen a little spike in movement the last couple days of the season, especially if really cold, most have given up weeks ago and they start to feel safe again moving during daylight. The week of Thanksgiving has been my best week ever and it's only a difference of a few days.

Devildog61311

If anyone is in Jacksonville or surrounding area and dont mind giving up their scraps that would normally be thrown away I'll gladly take it for raw feeding my Cane Corso. Always looking for offal, meaty bones, and unwanted meat. Devildog61311@gmail.com

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
I hunt just as hard thru the last day of season as I do the first day of season. Even putting in all day sits many days in the late season just like I do during the rut, heck I've stayed in the tree all day during bow season. Deer have to move, they have to eat, they have to drink, You as a hunter have to be there when that happens. And Lastly, and its been said on here many times, but it is not a cliché "DEER ARE SOMEWHERE ALL THE TIME", You have to be somewhere besides the couch watching football to find them.

Huffy

Eight Pointer
I hunt just as hard thru the last day of season as I do the first day of season. Even putting in all day sits many days in the late season just like I do during the rut, heck I've stayed in the tree all day during bow season. Deer have to move, they have to eat, they have to drink, You as a hunter have to be there when that happens. And Lastly, and its been said on here many times, but it is not a cliché "DEER ARE SOMEWHERE ALL THE TIME", You have to be somewhere besides the couch watching football to find them.

Pretty good points if I do say so my self

EMB

Ten Pointer
I finished up yesterday and there are still 4 weeks left here in the central. My freezer is full now ( a nice fat doe from bow season and a 192.5 lb heavy horned 7 pointer 11/13) and took 2 does yesterday! Had a great season, and still have 2 open slots on the license, but don't need anymore meat. December is tough hunting for decent horns.