Archery only club?

ncbuckfever

Six Pointer
Anyone a member of an archery only club? I would think it would work great on smaller tracts, just curious if anyone did and how it goes (success wise)??

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
ncbuckfever, I know of one that's been around forever. Great property, lots of acreage, and pretty affordable. More hogs than deer and no turkey hunting privileges for members, but the cost reflects that. You can spend a little or a lot, depending on how many blocks of woods you want for yourself. Just too far for me to drive to seriously consider membership. It is in Georgetown, SC. Winyah Archery Club. They do have some areas that allow gunhunting, though, I'm pretty sure.

Another one only lasted a season as archery only. It was hard for them to keep members for archery only and is now weapon of choice.

A small tract would be fine if everybody was close friends with realistic expectations. When I say a small tract, I'm describing 100 to 300 acres. Recruiting strangers and keeping them is a tough thing.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Anyone a member of an archery only club? I would think it would work great on smaller tracts, just curious if anyone did and how it goes (success wise)??

this is very ironic, I swear I was thinking about making a post like this just this morning. I will be interested in the replies as well, hoping for something in the piedmont.

ncbuckfever

Six Pointer
My bow hunting pals swear land is easier to gain access to/lease if you tell them that you are only bow hunting. I am thinking of drumming up somewhere to just bow hunt. They tell me of less pressured deer that don't even run right away when they see you. I think it could be a great thing if everyone is thinking the same.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
My bow hunting pals swear land is easier to gain access to/lease if you tell them that you are only bow hunting. I am thinking of drumming up somewhere to just bow hunt. They tell me of less pressured deer that don't even run right away when they see you. I think it could be a great thing if everyone is thinking the same.

I am sure that is true, less safety concerns for the landowner. I think the main issue might be keeping members, since bowhunters are fewer in numbers but if its a small club I can see it working for sure....heck, if its within an hour or so of me I will join!

asexton

I would love to have one of these available around the piedmont. My bow is all I use anymore so this would be a great thing to put together. The real underlying key would be, being able to gain access to enough acreage. Being new to the state this has been the biggest struggle even being a bow hunt only guy.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
There seem to be a fair amount of mid-west clubs that are archery only but it makes more sense with gun seasons that come in post-rut. The way NC allows months of rifle I think it would be hard to keep members.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I tried this in NJ with little success. I primarily hunt with a longbow and would be interested in a traditional or bow only club. I'm in Forsyth County and willing to drive a bit. I'm also actively pursuing land for myself or a small bow only club.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I have been in a few and really liked them. We had no problems getting members at all. The only reason I am not in any of them now was due to loosing the leases due to land sales.

DJinNC

Banned
If anyone were to get this together, drop me a line in the IM!!!!!! I'd consider a drive to join. I hunt the GL (gun zones too) now with bow all season long! Would be great to have some private land and perhaps even a sunday hunt opportunity.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I'm in a lease with 4 other guys and we designate areas near homes as archery only and allow rifle hunting in the more remote areas. We all have our own sections of the property that we have to ourselves and then we have shared areas to take guests or just a change in scenery. The archery only zones rarely get hunted and offer some great opportunities for me. I think this set up works best in eastern NC given our long rifle seasons. We have options to hunt archery only low pressure areas or stay in our normal spots and use any weapon we want.

Rc187

Six Pointer
I'm in rockingham county near the Guilford line and would love to see this actually happen I hunt solely with a bow never even walked in the deer woods with a gun again if this starts to come to life I would be very interested.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk