Where are all the does????????

EHD, Blue tounge, Acorns, Coyotes, Depredation permits, DMAP, ..........I don't what it is, maybe a combination. All I can say is ain't as many deer in SENC as they once was. I use to see 8, 10, 15, 20 deer a sit. No more. Now, if I see 5 that's a lot...

DCdeerhunter

Six Pointer
I have never seen 20 a sit but 10 to 15 was once realistic but in the last 10 years the numbers have been way down. Been hunting for 25 years so I have seen it good and now down. Still nice deer just a lot less in general

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Deer are getting scarce...bucks, does...all of em.

My .02... Bonus tags, plus yotes, plus habitat loss, plus increased traffic, equals QUIT KILLING EVERY DOE YOU SEE.

Originally Posted by 2boyz
It is not a popular position in NC, but SC, GA and AL are concerned about coyotes/fawn predation and are funding research (one more year for results). The positive economic impact of a productive deer herd is one of the driving factors to on-going research in these three states.

Prediction: Within 3 years, the impact of coyotes will play a significant role in deer management in NC and the SE US.

I agree very much with these two post. When it comes to coyotes or should I say coy-wolves in the Southeast, they are having a significant affect on fawn recruitment. If you have does enjoy them, just be careful, combined with coyotes and over harvest of does a deer population may be unrecoverable. It has all ready happened, I believe at Ft. Rucker. I think that was were it was, it was a military base in Alabama IIRC. I have posted on it before.

One area, approx. 2000 acres, I hunt had too many deer. I've been hunting here for 20 years. and kept tabs on harvest from year to year. We could not hurt the population with unlimited tags. Along comes the yotes our sustainable harvest dropped but our deer population remained stable with a reduced doe harvest. EHD hit, our doe harvest might have been 1 or 2 add in the coyotes and our deer population there is as low as 30 years ago. Habitat is also playing a role here too, but it is obvious to me that coyotes have had a significant affect.

Last edited:

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Where I still hunt I have not noticed a shortage of does or bucks either for that matter. I have noticed a shortage of BIG bucks though:rolleyes:. Today I got to the stand at 4:30 and had 8 does out by 4:40. No bucks ever showed.

grey.ghost

Six Pointer
Where I still hunt I have not noticed a shortage of does or bucks either for that matter. I have noticed a shortage of BIG bucks though:rolleyes:. Today I got to the stand at 4:30 and had 8 does out by 4:40. No bucks ever showed.
Same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Myself and folks I talk to in my area are seeing very few does, lots of young bucks. My game camera has shown the same for 2 months, 1 group of does with several fawns, but have probably seen 10 different young bucks. Might change my way of thinking, as far as shooting does. JMO, but maybe time to let the does walk.

EMB

Ten Pointer
Saw lots of yearlings and mature does all through bow season. Saw a few during the rut, and currently haven't seem much moving at all. Today I didn't see a deer, which is the first day
I have seen at least one deer. I think it's more weather related than anything.

Would you want to move around much sporting a heavy winter coat and the weather is a balmy 55 degrees and climbing to 65-70 daily?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Saw lots of yearlings and mature does all through bow season. Saw a few during the rut, and currently haven't seem much moving at all. Today I didn't see a deer, which is the first day
I have seen at least one deer. I think it's more weather related than anything.

Would you want to move around much sporting a heavy winter coat and the weather is a balmy 55 degrees and climbing to 65-70 daily?

LOL- See post #5 on the kill section blowing up thread from a poster who had them running wild in your county yesterday when it was record heat.

just goes to show how unpredictable they rae.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I could count the number of deer I saw last year on two hands. This year I have seen multiples on just about every trip.