Core-Lokt vs Blastic

piratesretreat

Button Buck
Just for some fun what are peoples preference Core-Lokt or Ballistic....I have a 270 and use core-lokt and have had great success even when I used a 30-30 but I have heard some swear by the ballistic.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I assume you mean Ballistic Tip.
I use Nosler BT's in two of my rifles and have always had great accuracy and work very well on deer.
I also use Core lokt ammo and have had fine results with those.
Just about any bullet will be fine on deer in this part of the country.

If I had to pick a all around bullet for anywhere...I'd pick a Hornady Interlock.

Last edited:

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I use Core lokt in everything. 150gr in 308, 180gr in 30-06. The only exception is my son shoots a Hornady 125gr reduced recoil in the 308. I really like that Hornady bullet, but specialty loads cost $$$. When he gets a little more size he will have the core-lokts as well. Not saying it is better, just what we have always used for many years. Walmart has them cheaper than other bullets as well. My Uncle used federal Premium Ballistic Tips before he passed. They all have caused the death of many deers.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I prefer Nosler Ballistic Tips & Accubond and use them in my .308 Win rifles, but I shoot Core-Lokts in my 7mm Rem Mag, mainly because of the cost of 7mm Mag ammo.

As long as you put it in the "kill zone," the deer don't know the difference........

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Hornady SST is a nice middle ground...excellent ballistic coefficient and tougher than a ballistic tip (constructed much like an interlock)

A magic number for DRT shots is about 2,600 fps and the plastic tips reduce drag, which will extend your range for 2,600 fps

The 140 gr SST superformance 270 may be the best deer ammo ever

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Unless you shoot past 400 yards or so where you really need a better ballistic coefficient for retained velocity and accuracy, the deer won't know the difference.

Basically, shoot a bullet designed for reliable expansion for deer. The soft lead point core-lokts, winchester power points, federals, and others are just fine for deer.

Shot placement is much more critical than bullet choice given that you are using an ethical caliber weapon.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
The venerable Core-Lokt had probably killed more game animals than any other bullet design in modern history (and more than the total of many different ones combined). For a whitetail they are dependable and typically more than accurate enough to do the job at distance that 99%+ of them are shot. However in the search for accuracy (meaning smaller more consistent groups) and more downrange velocity/energy many will opt for a more streamline bullet like a Ballistic Tip. The other advantage is the polymer tip prevents deformation while being cycled from the magazine to the chamber which can aide in maintaining accuracy. Another factor is for people shooting not so popular calibers like 6.5mm Creedmoor or even a .243 where Core-Lokt ammo is not available. It really comes down to personal preference, budget, what is available for their rifle and performance at the bench.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
either kills em dead when shot in the right place on a deer..........I personally like the Hornady 150 spire point interlock for a plain jane deer killing bullet inside 300 yds..........

Randy

Ten Pointer
130 grain Core-Lokts seem to shoot pretty good in my Tikka 270 and work OK on deer.

Last edited:

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I've tried Core-Lokts in every rifle I've ever owned and not one has shot them anywhere near accurate enough to hunt with. My old 30/06 I'd have been better off throwing rocks. I'm sure they perform fine on deer but I've never been able to get them to shoot. Favorite bullet of all time is Nosler accubond. Accurate and flattens deer out of every caliber I've used it in.

PisgahBear

Button Buck
Core-Lokt in 30-06 and 308 is what I use exclusively after trying lots of other stuff through the years. Most Mtn. shots are 100 yds or less so a fancy BC adds no value. Terminal performance is almost always DRT.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not even read the replies but, I've said in the past and will repeat myself. I absolutely HATE ballistic tip bullets. I'm a firm believer in sp tips and use speer, Sierra and Remington tips in everything I load. No problems, no issues... they have worked for many years and across the world have cleanly taken millions of animals. If you gave me ballistic tipped rounds, I'd take 'em apart, throw away the bullets, and put in something I have more confidence in. Others mmv....

Last edited:

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I've been in the reloading game for 35yrs and have toyed around with every type bullet out there and they all no doubt have their place in the field. As mentioned, there have probably been more deer killed with a Remington Core-Lokt than any other bullet on the planet. My brother has always been a Hornady fan and has used the Interloc for as long as I remember with great results and wouldn't use anything else. Maybe i'm just getting old but IMO ..... it's hard to beat an old school cup & core soft point for deer here in NC. I load Speer Hot-Cors and Sierra Prohunters in everything, always have, always will. I've never had any problems what so ever with accuracy, penetration or dead deer with these two bullets from all ranges. Bottom line ... use what your rifle shoots well and one that you have confidence in and as long as you do your part and put it where it needs to be it will serve you well.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I don't have much use for ballistic-tip bullets for hunting deer-sized animals. I like Speer Hot-Cors or other cheap softpoints. I've had bullets like the Barnes TTSX to pencil through on lung/soft tissue shots.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
The only thing I dislike about the Core Lokts is the quality control seems to be poor. The last box I bought had a lot of lead "spillage" down the outside of the bullet jackets.. I don't know how much it would have affected accuracy, but it turned me off the Core-Lokts. So, I've used Hornady American Whitetail in my .243 & Federal Nosler Partitions in my .280. Both work great if you do your part as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
The only thing I dislike about the Core Lokts is the quality control seems to be poor. The last box I bought had a lot of lead "spillage" down the outside of the bullet jackets.. I don't know how much it would have affected accuracy, but it turned me off the Core-Lokts. So, I've used Hornady American Whitetail in my .243 & Federal Nosler Partitions in my .280. Both work great if you do your part as far as I can tell.

To me, the quality of Remington products has plummeted downhill quickly over the last decade since they sold out and are now owned by Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. I no longer buy anything that says Remington on it. Even the last box of Remington .22 shells I bought had about one out of every ten that wouldn't go off. I've heard similar stories about newer Core-lokts. It's a shame, because Remmy stuff used to be the best quality.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
To me, the quality of Remington products has plummeted downhill quickly over the last decade since they sold out and are now owned by Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. I no longer buy anything that says Remington on it. Even the last box of Remington .22 shells I bought had about one out of every ten that wouldn't go off. I've heard similar stories about newer Core-lokts. It's a shame, because Remmy stuff used to be the best quality.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about Remington. I have a newer 870 & the bluing as well as the finish on the stock is of poor quality. I have to keep it oiled up pretty good to keep the barrel from rusting in the safe & even with my light use over 3 years, parts of the wood have turned white. Oh yeah, the firing pin locked up too. I bet I have less than 500 shells through the thing. The newer rifles seem cheaply made too. I'll look at other brands for my next firearms purchases.

Last edited:

EMB

Ten Pointer
I use the Hornady SST in 150 grains in my .308 exclusively, as I have had total success with them. In my 7mm mag I use the same bullet weight and brand and haven't had an issue to date. My son shoots Sierra Game Kings BT in his .308 with great success, and he shoots Hornady 140 grain SST in his 7mm-08 with great success.

We have had luck with Hornady right from the start as well as the Sierra Game kings. I think as long as you have success with any round, just stick with it. I've seen too many try things out that other ranted and raved about, and had awful experiences, so just go with what works for you, your gun and your success.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Unless you shoot past 400 yards or so where you really need a better ballistic coefficient for retained velocity and accuracy, the deer won't know the difference.

Basically, shoot a bullet designed for reliable expansion for deer. The soft lead point core-lokts, winchester power points, federals, and others are just fine for deer.

Shot placement is much more critical than bullet choice given that you are using an ethical caliber weapon.

Yup..... I let my gun choose the ammo
In my ar10 and BAR 308 fed fusion 150s are the most accurate and have great expansion
In my 300wm it prefers 165 ssts
As long as the bullet has reliable expansion theyll all do fine just shoot what your gun likes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I have had bad results with ballistic tips. The bullet tends to explode which isn't a bad thing but it doesn't always give you a good pass through which to me is a bad thing... I prefer an entrance and exit wound for ease of blood trailing if it is needed. Core lokts so far have always given me a pass through...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curly84

I load Sierra 150gr pro hunter in my 300 savage, I like the hard hitting accuracy, one on top of the other at 100 yards.[emoji58]

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk