Seeking advice on a new bow

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm looking for a little input and advice on a good set up. I've been deer hunting for 25 plus years but never seriously bow hunted. When I was younger I had an old school compound Bear that I did manage to kill a couple of deer with, all 20 yrds or under. Best I remember it just had the standard stuff on, very basic set up. I believe it had the 4 pin sight system. 90% of my serious deer hunting has been gun hunting. I simply have not kept up with the changing technology in compound bows. There are a ton out there, I've just started doing a little research. I assume its just like choosing a rifle caliber...it all depends on what you want and like. What kind of set ups do some of yall prefer that do more bowing hunting? Anything I should look for or anything you'd advise I stay away from as far as makes, options or arrows? I've been hunting so long and so much that it feels weird asking for such basic advice in regards to deer hunting but I know we have some very knowledgeable folks on the boards here so I'm going to seek out the advice of those smarter than myself.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Best advice I can give you is go shoot as many as you can and pick the one that fits you best. Bows are very personal and all the manufacturers are making a quality bow these days. My personal bow is an Obsession Defcon M6 but the mathews Halon was a close second.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Best advice I can give you is go shoot as many as you can and pick the one that fits you best. Bows are very personal and all the manufacturers are making a quality bow these days. My personal bow is an Obsession Defcon M6 but the mathews Halon was a close second.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

^^^ agreed 100%. As a starting point, if you are looking for an affordable beginners bow, try looking at some Diamond bows( made by Bowtech). I have the Core and love it and most can be found for 400$ of less. Its incredibly light and quiet, and its fully adjustable from 40-70 lbs. I promise your draw weight will increase as you gain experience so I really like adjustable bows for beginners for that reason. The accessories are complete crap, but you can replace those easily. Bottom line though, go to a local archery shop and tell them your price range and ask to shoot some bows that fit your requirements. The one thing about it is that its not a huge bow so if you are a bigger guy you might want something with a little more size. Anyway, just some ideas to get started. Elite Bows are awesome also but can be a bit more expensive but if you have the extra cash..........

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Best advice I can give is go to a bow shop...or several and shoot as many bows as possible until you find one that feels right to you. I'm not talking about a big box store, a real bow shop. They'll be able to get you set up and tuned properly. having a set up that fits you, is tuned with the right arrows will make all the difference in the world.

MyHrly

Six Pointer
Check Our Classified section I'm sure you'll find a good Used Bow and a Knowledgeable Forum Member selling it. just a thought.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I would start by watching some hunting shows and see who's shooting what. Whatever guy lays the smack down on the biggest hoss of a swamp donkey toad, then you should get that bow. If you can hold that bow steady while fist bumping your camera man after he says you smoked him, then it should suffice. You also want to check for synchronized triple solo cams, and any drop away under $200 is crap. Make sure your titanium kisser button is platinum and your peep is a no twist carbon to reduce overall bow weight. Remember, if it shoots 320 fps or faster, you gotta wait for the Booner to get out to 80 yards. Trust me,it'll all come together for ya man!

Last edited:

ladeer

Six Pointer
I have a mission bow for sale. It had adjustable poundage and draw length. Great starter bow.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
When you go to a bow shop, find out what your draw length is and what poundage you like. Once you know that, your search gets easier.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for all the info. Believe I'm going to ride up to China Grove and check a little bow shop up there. What type of stands do y'all prefer to bow hunt out of? Obviously a climber if public but what about on your private tracts; ladder stands or lock on?

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
I would maybe shoot a couple bows and see what you like, just like has been said already but when you find the one you like the best, maybe try and find a used one or one that a pro shop is trying to get rid of to make room for new models.

I've bought all my bows new but I always get them as the new models are coming in. The last bow I bought was a Fred Bear Attack in 2012 but it was the 2011 year model and the shop knocked off $150 to get it out of the way.

I also see a lot of Newish bows on craigslist for cheap and a lot of them are fully loaded. In my opinion from 2011-present the technology hasn't changed to much so you can get a really nice, fast shooting bow that is very affordable.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I agree with those above. Bows are personal. You can test for free in Field and Stream, and buy a pack of batteries on your way out to justify their time. The reason I say that is, their employees aren't paid commission. Was told first hand from the guy behind the gun counter.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for all the info. Believe I'm going to ride up to China Grove and check a little bow shop up there. What type of stands do y'all prefer to bow hunt out of? Obviously a climber if public but what about on your private tracts; ladder stands or lock on?

Buy a climber and loc ons. Put the loc ons in the areas that are productive every year and set them for North and South winds. Keep climber for odd winds and flexibility when moving in on a deer. I like Olman climbers because I can turn the "gun" rest into a "foot" rest once to the top of the tree. The foot rest gives a lot more room for bowhunting. It comes with a straight rail if you like that too. I don't hunt out of ladders because I like to be 20-30 feet up.

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I can turn the "gun" rest into a "foot" rest once to the top of the tree. The foot rest gives a lot more room for bowhunting.

This is important too. I've had my lower cam pinch a gun rest on release because I didn't pay attention to the gun rest. My arrow landed 4ft short of the doe.

ncboman

I shoot far better from my climbers than any other type portable stand, probably because I use a seat board and when I'm standing I can brace my knee against the board for that third point of contact. Makes me very comfortable and able to focus on the task at hand. Make sure you can move around in your stand quietly with deer around you. If your stand makes you feel hinky when you stand up or turn, you will shoot hinky as well.

I've bowkilled a good number of deer and the vast majority have been under 20yds. It's a close range game and much of the skill is being able to set up and/or get in position to shoot without knocking yourself off.

As for a bow, you're on your own there. :D

Last edited: