My New Hunting Land

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Although I have been a member of this group for a long time, up to now I have rarely post although I browse the site often.
After working hard all my life, I have finally been able to buy 56 acres of hunting land in McDowell County. My game cameras and many walks through the property tell me there are plenty of deer, bear and turkey already on the property.

Here are my questions to the food plot experts on this site.
The property has 12 acres of ag fields that were planted with corn as recently as 2015. The adjoining property is ag fields planted with corn and hay. My plan is to take soil samples of the fields, bush hog them and lime them within the next month or so in anticipation of planting in the spring.

My problem is equipment. I have someone who can bush hog and apply lime this year but I'm on my own in the spring. I have a Polaris 500 UTV and that's about it. Should invest in a Plotmaster for the UTV? I'm thinking 12 acres is a lot for a UTV. Should I reduce my food plot to 2 or 3 acres? Should I invest in an old tractor? The pics below show my property and the trail/road system throughout. I am also thinking of planting the power line as there is already a tower stand there.
Thanks in advance for any advise you may have.
7be9952f3bf9357bbfe776991ead008c.jpg

0bd18d2c6133818a6f87e314b3e95499.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finding a farmer to lease that 12 acre established field is probably your best bet. You can write it into the contract to leave a certain edge rows of mature crop or have a gentlemans agreement as such. That will benefit you much more than putting out money for a tractor(your only real option for 12 acres)and trying to maintain this large of a field for anything productive.
Another option is to plant mast trees in a certain percentage open for a food plot, which again will require a tractor for that much acreage. That power line is a must to keep open from those pictures, looks like a great place to ambush whatever you're after.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Thanks, that's something to consider. Would you think a food plot on the power line would be worth the effort?
I was also thinking of planting some clover in the large field and put out a few bee hives. I'm a winemaker and love making mead wine with clover honey. This would kill two birds with one stone! I think I might keep an acre or two of the field to play with and look for a farmer for the rest.

country

Ten Pointer
I would lease out the field to local farmer. You will be able to pay your property taxes with some left over (assuming you have your property in deferred tax program). Put in food plots on powerline also. Good luck.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
The property came with two tower stands. One on the power line and one overlooking the field. I think I'm going to put in food plots on the power line and a small one in the field. If I get a farmer in there they will most likely plant corn and I have many acres of corn adjoining my land. I'm hoping if I plant some clover and soybeans I can lure them out of the corn.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would get a farmer to plant the field (corn/bean rotation), and get him to leave an agreed upon percentage in the back, near the wood line. You might also keep a strip near the wood line open to plant something else too, but I wouldn't try to plant those 12 acres all in a food plot. Especially not without a good tractor and equipment. I would also plant a screen up by the road to prevent road shooters.

I would definitely plant the power line, as that is where you are most likely to catch the deer in daylight on the way to the field. If you've got some oats/clover/etc. in there to stop them, that's a great setup.

Last edited:

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Great idea. The roads are all on my property. There is an access road from the main road but it is not near the field. I don't " think" road hunting will be an issue. They would have to get past a locked gate to do it. The deer travel from the access road, to the field and then to the little wooded piece in the field. There is a small spring in the wooded area and a few apple trees. They seem to bed down in that small wooded area. I need to have a view of that area and maybe a food plot between it and the road.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I can't tell from the picture,but is that kudzu around the tower stand.?

Yes, it is! It's my only issue with the property. It currently is affecting about an acre. My plan is to cut and spray, cut and spray. I'm hoping to get it under control.

Any advise or helpful hints would be appreciated.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
If you lease it to a farmer anything you want done such as leaving part of the crop in the field needs to be put in a lease agreement,gentleman's agreements are nice written agreements are better.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
If you lease it to a farmer anything you want done such as leaving part of the crop in the field needs to be put in a lease agreement,gentleman's agreements are nice written agreements are better.

I would get it in writing! I've been there before and learned my lesson!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I can't tell from the picture,but is that kudzu around the tower stand.?

Yes it is. It's covering a little less then an acre. My plan is to cut and spray, cut and spray.

Let me know if you have any additional advice or ideas. This was the only negative of the property.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yes it is. It's covering a little less then an acre. My plan is to cut and spray, cut and spray.

Let me know if you have any additional advice or ideas. This was the only negative of the property.

I used transline on some kudzu this year with good success. It targets legumes so it wouldn't kill everything in the area. Glyphosate would be cheaper but it isn't selective. It usually takes a couple of treatments over a few years in an established stand to get it under control.

robertc

Eight Pointer
One word of advice I will give you speaking from experience. This will be a long term project. Pace yourself and plan according. I have owned my farm for 30 plus years and there is always something I want to do. You will run our of mony before you run out of ideas. Congratulations on your purchase and good luck on your hunting.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I used transline on some kudzu this year with good success. It targets legumes so it wouldn't kill everything in the area. Glyphosate would be cheaper but it isn't selective. It usually takes a couple of treatments over a few years in an established stand to get it under control.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
One word of advice I will give you speaking from experience. This will be a long term project. Pace yourself and plan according. I have owned my farm for 30 plus years and there is always something I want to do. You will run our of mony before you run out of ideas. Congratulations on your purchase and good luck on your hunting.

I hear you! I'm already planning projects I have no chance of finishing! I want to buy a tractor, a disk, a bush hog, etc. I want to build a barn with an attached hunting camp! I want to dig a pond at the back end of the field! LOL. Thank god my wife brings me back to reality!

robertc

Eight Pointer
I hear you! I'm already planning projects I have no chance of finishing! I want to buy a tractor, a disk, a bush hog, etc. I want to build a barn with an attached hunting camp! I want to dig a pond at the back end of the field! LOL. Thank god my wife brings me back to reality!

I'll give you another hint, set up a farm checking account. Don't use your personal/joint account. That will keep you in check.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I'll give you another hint, set up a farm checking account. Don't use your personal/joint account. That will keep you in check.

What are your thoughts on the Plotmaster? If I'm going to be putting in food plots less then an acre it may now be viable to pull behind my UTV. Or should I just save for a used tractor?

robertc

Eight Pointer
I can help you with this question. I really like the looks of the Plottmaster however I have no experience with one. Tractors are expensive but can work a lot more land than a 4 wheeler and attachments. One thing to think about is going to your county agriculture office and check what equipment may be available to use. Example, my county has a no till drill available on a first come first serve base.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Skip the plot master and find a used tractor and implements. Been there don that with UTV implements. They may work great in sandy easily tilled soil but will not work well in hard to turn soil. So no I would not do a plot master at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
Skip the plot master and find a used tractor and implements. Been there don that with UTV implements. They may work great in sandy easily tilled soil but will not work well in hard to turn soil. So no I would not do a plot master at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats. You got a nice looking place. I would also lease the most of the land to a farmer but I would keep an acre or 2 for clover . You can manage clover with just an atv , a mower and a atvspreader. Lime summer and winter, frost seed clover in February. Mow early in the summer after the blooms have turned brown and again in Late August. I have done this with great success on my 35 acre farm in Rockingham county. The deer LOVE clover I have found.

Last edited:

D1RICH1

Ten Pointer
Congrats. You got a nice looking place. I would also lease the most of the land to a farmer but I would keep an acre or 2 for clover . You can manage clover with just an atv , a mower and a atvspreader. Lime summer and winter, frost seed clover in February. Mow early in the summer after the blooms have turned brown and again in Late August. I have done this with great success on my 35 acre farm in Rockingham county. The deer LOVE clover I have found.

I like this plan.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer

Thanks! I'm looking forward to managing this property and hopefully grow me some nice bucks! I'm very excited but can't seem to settle on a plan.
Part of me wants to do exactly what you advise but maybe add some soy beans along with the clover. I think I can do this with my UTV.
Then I think about buying a used tractor and taking on a little more, we will see. Don't want to rush into this but want to be planted for next season.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Congrats on your land. This has been the best, most expense, and fun investment I have ever made!