Snake Protection

March14

This will be my first season Turkey hunting . I plan on spending most of my time in WNC, Pisgah, Nantahala, DuPont, and South Mtn areas. Do most of you NC Turkey hunters take any extra precautions to protect yourselves from venomous snakes ? Snake boots, gaiters or chaps? Any input appreciated. I grew up in NY Long Island area duck hunting. Still getting used to so many scalely critters down here.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
This will be my first turkey season in North Carolina. I just moved here from Florida. I don't go into the woods in the spring without snake boots. You probably won't need them in the mountains in the spring, but you can't put a price on peace of mind.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This will be my first season Turkey hunting . I plan on spending most of my time in WNC, Pisgah, Nantahala, DuPont, and South Mtn areas. Do most of you NC Turkey hunters take any extra precautions to protect yourselves from venomous snakes ? Snake boots, gaiters or chaps? Any input appreciated. I grew up in NY Long Island area duck hunting. Still getting used to so many scalely critters down here.

In the mountains, just watch where you step! I've hunted here for 60 years and worked outside for over 30 of those years and never owned any sort of snake protection.....

You're not in much danger from timber rattlers.......I've seen 100's but never felt threatened by any that I left alone. I accidently stepped on a couple in brush where I couldn't see the ground and they just crawled away.

Copperheads are a bit less inclined to retreat but they won't strike unless they feel threatened either.

Basically, snakes don't like to bite what they can't swallow unless they feel it necessary to protect themselves.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I pay attention to where I am walking and leave it at that.. been in the woods my entire life.. I might git bit tomorrow but I will not spend one second worrying about it.. not in central or western NC odds are too low.. snakes are not the boogie man.. they are just critters like any other. there are only two species that you are likely to run into anyway and one gives you a warning sound.

So to answer your question.. no I do not take any special precautions.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i thought i was taking precautions with 18" rubber lacrosse grange boots, the only boot i have ever worn turkey hunting in the southeast.

lotsa folks know and have shared how useless they would be if you got bit.

but i am going to "firedog" it. i'll be worrying about things other than snakes.

I aint changing boots.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I have spent half a century constantly traipsing around the NC mountains at all times of year, day and night, deer hunting, turkey hunting, coon hunting, bear hunting, small game hunting, trout fishing, sang digging, hiking, working, and just walking in the woods. I have never owned or worn a pair of snake boots. I have never been bitten by a venomous snake. I have never been struck at by a venomous snake unless I was messing with it. Just use common sense and watch where you put your feet and hands. I have encountered a lot of rattlers and copperheads in my life, not a single one of them has been aggressive toward me unless provoked by me. Timber rattlers, especially, are always laid back and just try to get away every time I have encountered one. I have set my foot down beside a rattler more than once with no ill effects except for an attack of spontaneous human levitation. Copperheads will bow up on you sometimes if you mess with them. 99% of the people I know who have gotten snake bit, they were either handling the snake; or got bitten while working around their yard or farm, usually while picking up something that the snake was hiding under.

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
My bow mentor got hit by a rattler who didn't rattle while hanging stands a few years back. Nearly killed him. The snake bit him in the teardrop muscle of his knee, above his snake boots.

FWIW, when I'm in "snaky" areas for stand hanging, etc, (tall grass, low visibility) in the hotter months, I not only wear snake boots but snake chaps. But chaps are impractical for hunting purposes since they tend to be a bit noisy when you walk.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'd wear what is comfortable for me I've been wearing Rocky snake boots for 2 years in areas your talking about but part of the reason is most of time I'm hour plus from truck and if I get bit good chance depending on how much venom released I won't get back to truck, I don't have any crazy fear if snakes and walk miles in woods in dark morning going in never think about it I mostly wear them because they are comfortable but I will say the waterproof on them sucks, I would wear what is comfortable to you unless your all the time deep away from vehicle. Copperheads are by far biggest worry they are so well camouflaged they will let you walk on top of them before moving or striking and I have walked up on few in areas you speak of couple near tree trunks I was within couple inches happen to see tail move on one tongue on another.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Never wore a pair of snake boots. Grew up hunting heavy cotton mouth country and never thought much about them. I naturally try to keep an eye out, but I know that's not a real good solution. Almost sat on a copperhead once, and came up on a big canebrake rattler that I messed with to see what he'd do. Not scared of snakes, but try to keep an eye out for them.

Black Jack

Four Pointer
I don't like snakes, but I am respectful that I am in their domain. I wear snake boots for piece of mind. Am thankful that I was wearing them on 2 occasions.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I would worry more about ticks then anything. Treat your clothing with pyrethrin.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
The fact that its already on your mind...buy snake boots. Otherwise, you will never be at ease

Not judging ..just speaking from experience.I never go into the woods in spring or early fall without them

Last edited:

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Second the Turtleskin. Good product for peace of mind. I use the gaiters and have never 'tested' them. A hog hunting buddy in Georgia has tested the chaps twice.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Most folks get snake bit right in their backyards. When you live in snake country it becomes a habit to look where you step and never put your hands in places you can't see. Kind of like fire ants. You can always tell the newbies who move here and don't look where they are standing. Sooner or later they are going to be on fire! HaHa!

March14

Most folks get snake bit right in their backyards. When you live in snake country it becomes a habit to look where you step and never put your hands in places you can't see. Kind of like fire ants. You can always tell the newbies who move here and don't look where they are standing. Sooner or later they are going to be on fire! HaHa!

Thanks for all the helpful info.
It's the snakes you can't see that were my concern. I am avid trail runner and have spent countless hours in mountains. I expected to be doing more bushwacking off trail with Turkey hunting. Obviously you have to look where you step in snake country. That won't protect you from the snakes you can't see. Just wanted to see what most guys are doing.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Do what makes you comfortable. Personally, I've been in the woods for over 60 years and have never been struck at, much less hit. Also, I only know one person who has been bitten by a snake. I would think that the number of snake bites vs. the number of woods hours would be in the .000% range. I'd buy more turkey calls.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A copperhead almost got me during bow season. Was out after a hard rain and a copperhead was about thigh level on top of some Johnson grass that had fallen over. My boots provided zero protection for that one.

broodc2

Four Pointer
Would wearing a pair of upland pants do anything or would that just be providing a false sense of security?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Clearing a few saplings last year a friend said I stepped on a big copper head that stuck up at me after I stepped off it. I didn't see it or know that I stepped on it or I'd have died or still been in full-bore-linear-panic mode. He picks up all kinds of snakes but not this sucker. One swipe with the brush axe and he was a good snake. This happened in a mostly clear powerline clearing with hardly anything over ankle high. It takes me a lot longer to walk that powerline now!

I'm planning to try a pair of boots like this before turkey season. http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens-hunting-boots/#prefn1=productFeatures&pmin=0&sz=46&prefv1=18

<>< Fish

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
FishHunt I love my Rocky snake boots they are reasonably priced and very comfortable but I will warn you Rocky boots are not known for good waterproof protection all mine have leaked after year or so of use I've worn out about 6 pairs of em though and they fit me well so I still use em

gobbler

Eight Pointer
i never wore snake boots until i started visiting fla, i have the danners and just got used to wearing them down there and continue throughout the season so far i have yet to test them out and i am on my second pair, i hope that i never have to find out if they work or not!, had a friend get struck by a cottonmouth on the back of the calf, it left a heck of bruise on his leg, luckily his rocky's worked, he said it was like someone hit him in the leg with a ball bat, as for waterproof i have never heard of or had a pair that lasted more than one turkey season, (40-50 days), unless they were rubber

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer

I started deer and turkey hunting in the Raleigh area and never felt the need for snake boots til I moved down east here where they have eastern diamondbacks as big around as my leg and longer than them. I got a pair of Irish Setter 18 inchers that give me a little bit of piece of mind.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunt mountainous areas nowadays and wear high quality leather boots (meindl, lowa, and asolo are what I currently own). Never wore snake boots.

I lived in the Sandhills region of NC and probably should have been wearing something a little more protective, but I always wore lacrosse boots.