I think I have done it!!!

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Been trying to convince the wife that me and the boy really need a hunting dog. I knew walkers was too much to consider right now, plus there are plenty of walkers at the hunting club to play with. So after showing some pictures and videos shown to her over the weekend, I think I have safely, without threat of divorce convinced her that we "need" a squirrel dog. My daughter loves squirrel hunting and after she fell in love with several feist online this weekend I think I have sealed the deal. Just got to locate some pups. I am in no hurry to get one, but if any of you have them and could give me references to some reputable breeders that would be great. This is going to be interesting as I have never had a hunting dog before, but I think it is going to be fun.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Get ready, your fixing to find out they are made, not bought. You will find out just how much time they do take.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
You speak the truth, I have done a lot of reading and the primary theme I am seeing is that the dogs have to be in the woods, period. They have to be worked, that will be a win for us all. Get everyone outdoors and off the devices, I need to lose some weight and the gym gets boring sometimes. I know it will be a challenge, but it will be fun too. I was just looking at a garmin alpha online, those things are expensive. But if I am going to put the time and energy into a dog this is going to be a must.

I imagine it is exciting when you have a pup and seeing him tree his first squirrel.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Alpha is the best buy out there when you consider you get tracking, training and a GPS to bring you out all in one.

The thing about working dogs is if you are involved in other interests like deer hunting, you get conflicts many times. That dog has a "best by" date during it's formative period and if you don't take advantage of it you may have a dog that trees squirrels but you won't have a squirrel dog.

I have been messing with them for years, seen it happen. I just took one and paid for it to be hunted a month because it started treeing earlier than I planned. I already had one pup I was working and with deer season in I am so limited of places I can't hunt two pups like they should be. Once deer season is out I can.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like your in for a journey. It will most likely be challenging and may be rewarding, if all goes well. Good luck!

Trappertod

Six Pointer
The Alpha is the best buy out there when you consider you get tracking, training and a GPS to bring you out all in one.

The thing about working dogs is if you are involved in other interests like deer hunting, you get conflicts many times. That dog has a "best by" date during it's formative period and if you don't take advantage of it you may have a dog that trees squirrels but you won't have a squirrel dog.

I have been messing with them for years, seen it happen. I just took one and paid for it to be hunted a month because it started treeing earlier than I planned. I already had one pup I was working and with deer season in I am so limited of places I can't hunt two pups like they should be. Once deer season is out I can.

I do have other interest including the deer, but I live on a 30 acre farm that has a good population of squirrels, I mostly deer hunt on Saturday so evenings after work and sunday afternoons I can take it out and work with it. We will see how it goes, it will atleast get us out and about, especially after deer season.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do have other interest including the deer, but I live on a 30 acre farm that has a good population of squirrels, I mostly deer hunt on Saturday so evenings after work and sunday afternoons I can take it out and work with it. We will see how it goes, it will atleast get us out and about, especially after deer season.

Yeah, I own 54, and lease 1800. But places to go and become a premium not to mention time. I am retired now, I don't have a clue how I did it prior to that.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah, I own 54, and lease 1800. But places to go and become a premium not to mention time. I am retired now, I don't have a clue how I did it prior to that.

Having plenty of places and plenty of time to hunt a dog are both key factors into what caliber of dogs you'll have. You will also find that during deer season if you dont own or lease land yourself you are going to have a hard time finding a place to hunt.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
NCcat congrats on making to retirement. We have leased land and also club membership. I hear in retirement you have less time.