Well drillers around Clarksville Va or Oxford NC---cost per foot to drill and sleeve?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone got any suggestions up that way? Got the permit approved the other day. We would like to go ahead and get it done asap. Just looking a trustworthy company that will do me a good job.

Thanks

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Rankin Williamson in Buffalo Junction did mine 25 year ago. Still in business on Hwy 49. He hit water quicker than anyone had indicated and have had no problem with the well at all. Where are you drilling?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rankin Williamson in Buffalo Junction did mine 25 year ago. Still in business on Hwy 49. He hit water quicker than anyone had indicated and have had no problem with the well at all. Where are you drilling?

Poverty Point- Near Island Creek on Townsville rd

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I would guess you should be fine over around the lake. Might check with some of the neighbors and see how deep they had to go. Anyone drilling in the area should be able to give you a pretty good idea of depth and output. I'm not a geologist so I can't give you much help. I am pretty close to the same latitude as you but over this way it is not unheard of to get a 300' dry hole. My well is only 144' and gets only 4 gpm but it has never run short. Only 2 of us in the house though. The well I had in Franklin Co. was a bored well only 35' but put out over 30gpm.

Harpoon

Isnt that near the now closed Tungsten mine?

Lots of granite around there, isnt it?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would guess you should be fine over around the lake. Might check with some of the neighbors and see how deep they had to go. Anyone drilling in the area should be able to give you a pretty good idea of depth and output. I'm not a geologist so I can't give you much help. I am pretty close to the same latitude as you but over this way it is not unheard of to get a 300' dry hole. My well is only 144' and gets only 4 gpm but it has never run short. Only 2 of us in the house though. The well I had in Franklin Co. was a bored well only 35' but put out over 30gpm.

The majority of the folks are on a community well that is in the flood plane for the lake. Next door neighbor on one side says they have sulfur smell in the well. the closest guy to me is 274 feet and has great water- its all a crap shoot!!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My plumber warned me about a big name driller that likes to tack an extra 100 ft on at your expense!! Trying to avoid any unnecessary expense- the remodel fund is running low!

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My well went in this past June here near Charlotte. Driller said that around here it is shale rock (or limestone I can't recall) and is hard water but up around Lake Norman it is granite and much better water. Got 25gpm at 180'. Test reports came back as being above drinking limits in Arsenic. Seems to be common around here (test reports are public information and on the internet). I use the water for irrigation and research indicates that leafy vegetables are not really affected that much. Root vegetables a little more so but not a real concern because for enough arsenic to be an issue in humans, the plant would grow poorly and not produce.

Rice on the other hand is a different story. Arsenic in rice is common and a potential health concern. Rice from Bangladesh is closer to rice flavored arsenic from what I understand.

Last edited: