Sendero, CDL, or Sako in 300 Win Mag?

Packfan

Eight Pointer
I have a question for you guys who probably shoot/tinker with guns much more than I do. I am more of a check it with a shot or 2 and go hunting kind of guy unless I get a wild hair and want to shoot. I currently shoot a 20+ year old model 700 .270 that I have been quite happy with in most situations. But not all situations. I am looking at trying to stretch my legs a little and see just how far I can accurately shoot or possibly become a better shot. I have shot Model 700's for the last 30 years be it ADL's and BDL's. As I have been trying to pick out a longer range gun, I have kinda sort of narrowed it down to three guns. The gun will be a 300 Win Mag. I obviously know what a CDL feels like and I have held both the Sako A7 lightweight and Long Range guns. The Sako long range reminds me of the Model 700 long range. Both have filly big grip areas and I have small hands and the gun is not comfortable to me. I just can't seem to find a 700 Sendero anywhere to put my hands on and I really have a problem paying a big deposit or worse having to Pay full price for a gun before a dealer will order one. So I guess my questions are does anybody know where a is available for sale or shooting? And does anyone know what the stock grip size feels like on the Sendero Vs a standard spotter rifle?

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Need to go shop some of the larver shops or gun shows.
You can get a feel for them and play with a few.

Also look at the remington long range line up or the 700 PSS

Both are fine guns, better if they are olded.

I have several PSS and heavy barrel Rem 700's
The hb most come with oversized stock and good palm swell, lots more than the normal sporters.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Where are you located?

I have a older Sendero and the grip on it is large but not so bad that it's uncomfortable.
The Sendero is heavy and long but if I was looking a long range gun it would be my choice.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Anson.

You say it is long ad heavy but specs only put it 1 inch longer and 1lb heavier than a traditional 700 in the same caliber. Shooting form a box stand or from a bench, weight is irrelevant.

As stated above, my biggest concern is the "palm swell". I'm 5'7" and have smaller hands. The really big grips just aren't comfortable. Different subject but I shoot sub-compact pistols because I couldn't hit an aircraft carrier from 10 feet away with a 1911.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Sendero is a fine gun and im not a Rem guy, well other than a custom 700 i have. Id go with Gadgets suggestion, a big gun show should have one if you look around, call a couple of Gander mountains, or BP/Cabelas to see if theyve got one on hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I would call Ed's over on us 1 just north of Pinehurst and see what he has in stock and go check it out. He is probably one of the better gun shops that is reasonably close to you.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I would call Ed's over on us 1 just north of Pinehurst and see what he has in stock and go check it out. He is probably one of the better gun shops that is reasonably close to you.

Good call I didnt even think of Eds

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I've got a sendero sf ll and really like it, like said above they're heavy by the time you scope them that 1 pound makes a difference. The palm swell isn't far off from the new long range series from Remington and isn't uncomfortable to me but I also have bigger hands.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Anson.

You say it is long ad heavy but specs only put it 1 inch longer and 1lb heavier than a traditional 700 in the same caliber. Shooting form a box stand or from a bench, weight is irrelevant.

As stated above, my biggest concern is the "palm swell". I'm 5'7" and have smaller hands. The really big grips just aren't comfortable. Different subject but I shoot sub-compact pistols because I couldn't hit an aircraft carrier from 10 feet away with a 1911.
I have a few 700's and it feels alot heavier to me but like you said off a bench its irrelevant.
Im a very short guy and other than looking funny carrying it i have no problem using my Sendero...[emoji3]

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I recently picked up a Sako A7 Roughtech. The Big Game version in 300 win mag. Its a pretty light gun considering what it is. Aluminum bedding block, free floating fluted barrel (stainless). Pretty dern good adjustable factory trigger (same as Tikka I believe). Only thing it needs now is a grind to fit limbsaver pad. (kicks like a mule). The stock has a pretty awesome texture to it as well. Out of the box 5 shot moa guarantee, which the gun did pass. 1 week later I shot a doe with it at 425 yards, my furthest kill shot at this time.

And just saw your note on the palm swell.. Sounds like you need to go check out the Sako. It has a smaller grip to it which I like.

I had looked at the Tikkas but mainly in the stock they just felt and looked cheaper (which they are). That isnt to say they arent great guns though. But considering the guns you are looking at it sounds like your going for that $1,000 range and something you can shoot a little further

The other different in the Sako and Tikka is you can operate the bolt with the safety on. Tikka you have to take the safety off to operate the bolt and unload the gun. Tikka has 2 lug locking bolt, the Sako has 3, for what thats worth... Tikka has 3 shot MOA guarantee, Sako has 5. The Sako requires you push the magazine in maybe 1/16" of an inch before pressing the mag release and removing the mag, some people have disliked that however I have absolutely zero problem with it and if anything I like it. The mags aren't cheap.

Again, this is a Sako ROUGHTECH Big Game version that I purchased. Its a little different than the standard A7. They also have a Long Range version that has a little bigger stock with a benchrest style forearm (flat), its a little heaver, and it has 2 swivel studs on the forearm. I wanted to keep the gun on the lighter side.

Last edited:

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
And if you do end up wanting a Sendero I know someone that has one for sale in 300 win mag. Cant remember what hes asking though but its not a $700 steal or anything light that.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
And if you do end up wanting a Sendero I know someone that has one for sale in 300 win mag. Cant remember what hes asking though but its not a $700 steal or anything light that.

Find out the particulars if you don't mind. I am supposed to meet a fellow forum member in the next week or so to put my hands on the exact setup I am looking at. If I like the package, I will be looking for a gun and used is not out of the question

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
I have the 700 P in 300 win mag.
Bedded and trued the action.
Shoots great.

Check out Bud's gun shop for pricing.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I have a FCP SR and a 10T and they are some tacj drivers....granted mine are in 308, but I cna t imagine a 300 being any less accurate.

Getting well under .5 moa consistently until i hit a scope issue, now waiting on the scopes fix and return

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Getting well under .5 moa consistently until i hit a scope issue, now waiting on the scopes fix and return

Man you need to order you one of those super snipers and put on that gun............LOL

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I would bry but this is my dedicated long range hunting rig.....so a vari power is more suitable