Favorite Trail Camera and why?

Pirates55

Four Pointer
What is everyone's favorite trail camera and why. I'm looking to buy a few new ones and wanted some opinions on what to get. I'm not interested in the real expensive cameras or the ones that text pictures to you.

So GO!!!

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Covert. Excellent image quality and simple to use. I have over a dozen of them and the only one I had an issue with, covert replaced with a newer model.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Moultrie have use them since the day where you went and got film developed no haven't had issues with any and they are reasonably priced

Pirates55

Four Pointer
I have some of the Moultrie M80's now. Seen some M880 2nd generations. Not sure what that 2nd generation is all about.

Banlandsbuck....which exact covert camera model do you use??

Last edited:

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I have some of the Moultrie M80's now. Seen some M880 2nd generations. Not sure what that 2nd generation is all about.

Banlandsbuck....which exact covert camera model do you use??

I have several, but for the money it is hard to beat the MPE-8/MPE-8 Black. I also have a few HD40's, but they cost more.

Sawyer205

Six Pointer
Browning Strike Force - I can pick them up for $85 - 100 shipped regularly (mostly 2015 models), the detection range is around 100', the picture provides a good field of view (compared to other models which seem zoomed in too far), and the reliability has been good so far. Battery life is ok but prob sub-par to the Covert / Spypoints.

Last edited:

newdeerhunter011

Eight Pointer
Browning Strike Force - I can pick them up for $85 - 100 shipped regularly (mostly 2015 models), the detection range is around 100', the picture provides a good field of view (compared to other models which seem zoomed in too far), and the reliability has been good so far. Battery life is ok but prob sub-par to the Covert / Spypoints.

agree with this. battery life is the only con about this camera. and its really not that bad. camera takes great pics for the price

Last edited:

Pirates55

Four Pointer
I just ordered 2 of the Browning DARK OPS HD Sub Micro Trail Camera (10MP) | BTC6HD. Hope they work out well. I will report back. I read a lot of reviews and only found positive feed back on them.

Leo

Banned
I have 3 wild game innovations trail cameras that are all 4 or 5 years old and still taking fine pictures. Got them on sale for dirt cheap and they live out on the falls lake game lands. I guess no one wants to steal the 'crappy' brand cameras, or I just hide them well.

cowgirl

Four Pointer
My husband and I like our moultries. They have been reliable and take very clear photos even at night.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
Moultrie
Because i can put out a sack full of them for very little $$$ and my feelings (nor my wallet) get hurt too bad if they get stolen or crap out. I think my theory has been workin purdy good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Covert MP6 or MP8 black. Bottom line is if your goal is to kill mature deer, last thing you want to do is put a camera up that puts them on alert. If it clicks or shines a light of any kind when it takes a picture, some deer will not like it. So I would choose a "black" camera. These Coverts take AA batteries and 8 AA's last a long time. PW protected camera, small in size, easy to use. Covert will replace any camera within a few days if it has issues, I just pay shipping and get new camera. It's a "black" camera so night pics aren't the best, but you get a good enough pic to see what you need.

Last edited:

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Can anyone recommend a camera that won't get set off by a small twig of grass blowing in the wind? I've retrieved the memory card on mine multiple times with hundreds of pictures of nothing but apparently a small branch or twig setting it off on a windy day.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Can anyone recommend a camera that won't get set off by a small twig of grass blowing in the wind? I've retrieved the memory card on mine multiple times with hundreds of pictures of nothing but apparently a small branch or twig setting it off on a windy day.

One with sensitivity settings. Especially in hot humid weather the cameras will set off easier. I think all of the ones I currently have (Reconyx, Covert, Bushnell, Browning) have adjustable sensitivity. if you set it to low when there is lots of grass or it is on a small tree the wind can blow around it should help.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

I have found that facing the camera north if I can helps. I set one facing west once and it seemed the setting sun messed with the sensor.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have found that facing the camera north if I can helps. I set one facing west once and it seemed the setting sun messed with the sensor.

My experience. Also have had better luck put on a stand instead of mounting to a tree. When it gets windy the tree moves and sets off the camera.

Crappie man

Six Pointer
Had 4 of the Moultrie 880 Gen 2 and all of them stopped working because of water damage. Done with them. Right now am running Browning and like them so far.

Cheese

Six Pointer
Have good success with the Bushnell Trophy Cams. Have two and they are at least 3 years old and running strong.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Stealth. Inexpensive!!! 8 AA batteries, decent but not long battery life. 4-5th season right now of putting in on scrapes and in video mode. Blown away by how well it does compared to my other higher dollar cameras.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I was a Covert guy until their CS got like Cuddebacks. Had a bunch over the years, Cuddeback, covert, primos, bushnell and Browning. Currently I'm on a Browning Strike Force kick, not the best but they're on sale right now at Mid-way for $99, great cam for the price. Just bought another. Had one that Mathew tried to take out, water over top of it, after cleaning it up, still taking pics. Good value at the $100 price point.