Need buying advice from the duck guys!

deepbreath

Six Pointer
Ok so for Christmas I'm getting my son a pair of waders, he also mentioned a drake jacket. But dang there's a boat load of diff styles. What should I go with? Thanks folks!

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
What style you need is based on your hunting needs and area. I have been using Under Armor Storm Series coat the last couple seasons that I love. Much warmer than Drake coats and have held up much better as well. I prefer Bottomland or Max5 for where I hunt. I find Max 4 to be a little bright unless you are strictly hunting reeds and grass. I find the buying a thin coat in a larger size and layering up is more effective that one big coat. I know some everyone is different, but a good start I guess. I also do not wear much Drake because of kids who rock them all the time throughout the year, just not my thing I guess. Waders, I use Cabelas Super Mags, but early season they can get warm quick. Not sure of your sons age, but that may also affect what you buy him since he may outgrow much of it soon.

I have had a pair of Roger's Toughman 5mm neoprene waders for three seasons of hard hunting now. Felt a thorn stick me they them whole bush whacking the other day and figured it was going to be a wet morning. Didn't get a wet at all. Don't know how that happened cause I was scratched where the thorn penetrated the waders and I definitely had myself in water deeper than my calf. Either way great waders and super warm. I have a browning 3-in-1 jacket but I never use more than the shell in the Southeast unless I'm laying down in a blind all day and the temps are in the teens and I only ever use the shell if it's raining or snowing. I have a wind proof wool sweater from cabelas and it is the single most important puece of gear that I have. I never hunt without it. I would rather have one of those sweaters over a jacket anyday for Christmas. A lighter cheaper rain shell and that sweater would get me through most situations.

James

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
If he's dead set on drake brand, theyre having a sale on their website on all the young guns apparel. I guess that's their kids line.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I have/had a lot of drake clothing. My .02 is its just about the shottiest made hunter themed clothing maker on the market. Nothing I have has held together. If he is wanting to stay "trendy" then look at the Banded brand of waterfowl clothing. Much much better quality for the $$$.