Input on new land please

mattharris0414

Hey guys, i just purchased a 15 acre white oak ridge surrounded by 200 acres of cut down planted in pines. I was thinking of going through and thining out everything except the white oaks and trying to plant a nice good plot. Has anyone had experiece with thining hardwoods and planting? Or, what are some recommendations that you guys have? Thanks for all comments!

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
The oaks will attract while there are acorns falling out side of that they are just nice to look at. Browse and cover are where the deer live. My $0.02

mattharris0414

Yeah but i figured with a full time food source (my 15 acres) surrounded by 200 acres of bedding area... that getting a food plot in would be year round attraction

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Sorry I miss read. Your right. If you can establish a plot surrounded by all that cover it would be a magnet. Definetly explore the south edge. That is where you'll get the greatest sun light penetration once you remove some trees. It's hard to advise with out actually seeing it.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Are you planning on stumping your plot area? I would recommend leaving various species of oak for those years when white oaks may not produce so well.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Yes you have a good idea with your plan. Only having 15 acres will be a challenge to get a crew there to just thin this place. You need to put some thought into your food plot placement so when you enter and leave you are not spooking deer.

mattharris0414

The only access i will have is from the north. I was thinking about getting a skid steer with one of the tree mulching attachments in there and clearing all small stuff out which would leave big mature oaks. Then planting under the oaks. I already have good sunlight penetration so the clearing is minimal. What do you think would be the best for planting? I also plan on establishing several apple trees and persimmons as well.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'd also promote other native food sources. Persimmon,wild grape, if it's on a ridge look to see if you have any wild blueberry or any of it's relative species. Oaks are great,but they can have an entire acorn crop wiped out in the spring and white oak isn't consistent every year. Maybe not right away, but some bedding area on your place may be desired as the neighbors pines get older. I'm not sure how old that stand is now, but once the crowns close,they will lose some appeal to the deer,especially if they were planted on a tight spacing.

derekorr1986

Six Pointer
I would plan very carefully and hunt sparingly. 15 acres isn't a ton and once you educate the deer a couple times by shooting them or spooking them walking in or out your sightings can be few and far between in my experience. I have a 15 acre or so piece of property I hunt described almost to the T of what you are talking about and its good to watch deer in the early season and not harvest them but once I shoot one or 2 they wait until after dark to use the area.