New archery deer season proposed

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
H1. Archery season segment in Western deer season

Create a third archery season segment in the Western deer season to open the Sunday immediately following the last day of gun season and close January 1 for antlered bucks only.

This proposal would add about three weeks of additional archery hunting opportunity in the Western deer season and was requested by local hunters. A biological evaluation shows negligible impacts of this proposed change to the deer population in the Western deer season.

So here is the proposal text

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I don't see why if its only bow hunting this season could not run until the last day of January?

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Winter bow in NJ runs from Jan 1st until the 3rd Saturday in February. Its such a great time to be in the woods. My favorite season. Almost never see another soul and the deer have been hunted hard and become a real challenge.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Winter bow in NJ runs from Jan 1st until the 3rd Saturday in February. Its such a great time to be in the woods. My favorite season. Almost never see another soul and the deer have been hunted hard and become a real challenge.

Better chances of hunting in the snow. :)

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Better chances of hunting in the snow. :)

Usually a good foot of snow or more by new years where I hunt. Sometimes 2 or 3 feet. Something really appealing to me about hunting deer in 15-20 degree temps with alongbow in a foot of snow. I love it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I really don't think anything will come of this if the bear hunters oppose it so small game hunters can relax.

This proposal is a long shot
Which side of you mouth are you talking out of today? Yesterday you were saying deer were pressure too much and over harvested.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Which side of you mouth are you talking out of today? Yesterday you were saying deer were pressure too much and over harvested.

Where did I say that?

On certain game lands, sure, maybe.
But private lands and most game lands can sustain such a season.

Has nothing to do with bear hunters opposing it anyway.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Where did I say that?

On certain game lands, sure, maybe.
But private lands and most game lands can sustain such a season.

Has nothing to do with bear hunters opposing it anyway.
You're the one already preaching gloom and doom about the bear hunters being against it. I can't help you have a boner for them.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Fact is fact. Good chance they block it regardless of what deer hunters want.

I assume you oppose it do due to interference with small game hunting seasons?

Take it easy.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fact is fact. Good chance they block it regardless of what deer hunters want.

I assume you oppose it do due to interference with small game hunting seasons?

Take it easy.
I don't hunt in the mountains anymore, unlike you I don't stick my nose in business where it doesn't pertain to me.

Doc

Twelve Pointer
i would support a bow season in WNC that came in after rifle, and lasted until jan 1. I would also support a late muzzleloader, or moving rifle back by 2 weeks. We get screwed out of hunting the best part of our rut for big bucks, IMO.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
i would support a bow season in WNC that came in after rifle, and lasted until jan 1. I would also support a late muzzleloader, or moving rifle back by 2 weeks. We get screwed out of hunting the best part of our rut for big bucks, IMO.

If its bucks only, why not allow firearms as well?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No I'm guessing it has to do with possible opposition from the bear hunting community but can't say for sure.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No I'm guessing it has to do with possible opposition from the bear hunting community but can't say for sure.
It just now has become public you are just spewing your rhetoric as usual against the bear hunters. If they were behind it the season would have never even been proposed. You can take that to the bank, they are that powerful.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
It just now has become public you are just spewing your rhetoric as usual against the bear hunters. If they were behind it the season would have never even been proposed. You can take that to the bank, they are that powerful.

Damn I am going to miss out on some sleep over the fact that CRC does not like me(Bear Hunters)if he knew how many bears have been taken in front of my hounds in Buncombe County over the last few years he would really be upset.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Damn I am going to miss out on some sleep over the fact that CRC does not like me(Bear Hunters)if he knew how many bears have been taken in front of my hounds in Buncombe County over the last few years he would really be upset.

I don't hate bear hunters at all.

They are the one group that cares about the species they hunt.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

But money talks.

If the WRC thinks they can sell a few more licenses this way, they will try to sneak it past the bear hunters.

Problem for them is two controversial bear hunting rules are up for permanent adoption .

I predict this will be smacked down as bear hunters show up at the wildlife hearings and very few deer hunters do (at least in District 9).