New archery deer season proposed

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You want controversy? Put archery deer hunters in the woods during the late bear season when bear hunters are running dogs on national forest lands.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You want controversy? Put archery deer hunters in the woods during the late bear season when bear hunters are running dogs on national forest lands.

your specialness is showing again,,,,,,,,,

archery hunters and bear hunters are in the woods together in Oct and Nov,,,,doubt that it would be any different in December,,,,,,,,

now,,,,,,,back to that buck only archery thing,,,,,,,,figure it out yet?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
your specialness is showing again,,,,,,,,,

archery hunters and bear hunters are in the woods together in Oct and Nov,,,,doubt that it would be any different in December,,,,,,,,

now,,,,,,,back to that buck only archery thing,,,,,,,,figure it out yet?

They are but a lot of bear hunters don't care for it. Its the reason the deer gun season was/is only 3 weeks and the muzzleoading deer season comes in BEFORE bear season. Part of a compromise negotiated in the 1970s with deer and bear hunters.

Far more bear hunting takes place up hear than deer hunting.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
As for the bucks only provision, I commented that youths should be allowed to take either-sex deer if this passes.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
immaterial,,,,,,,your issue was with buck only archery,,,,,,,,

If its bucks only, why not allow firearms as well?

so did you figure that out yet?

Oh heck, I'll put my educator / mentor hat on,,,,

Buck only archery provides OPPORTUNITY while limiting the harvest,,,,

Many states have (or currently are) used that management method,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh heck, I'll put my educator / mentor hat on,,,,

Buck only archery provides OPPORTUNITY while limiting the harvest,,,,

Many states have (or currently are) used that management method,,,,,
Dang it, you went and told the class the answers to the test. :p

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
Can you hunt with bows during other open seasons? e.g. would this change effectively open bow season from Sept 1 through Jan 1 in Western district?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm not completely familiar with the Western District but would think you could only hunt during the prescribed season in that district.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Can you hunt with bows during other open seasons? e.g. would this change effectively open bow season from Sept 1 through Jan 1 in Western district?

No because bow season does not start Sept 1 but other than that, yes.

However some folks also asked that guns be legal as well.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Doh. Right. Ok, cool, thanks for following up.

No prob.

Only strange thing is the last 3 weeks would be antlered deer only even though the WRC is on record as saying bow hunting has little impact on doe harvests.