Compound Bow for someone starting out

VikingsFan8178

I am NOT new to hunting but I have never used a compound bow in my life.

I wouldn't mind having one to hunt with and I practicing would be a relaxing habit for me (I enjoy target shooting with my crossbow, firearms, knives, axes, etc.).

I don't want a bottom of the barrel one but I don't need top of the line either.

How should I go about getting starting? I live right near Greensboro and Raleigh-Durham.

VikingsFan8178

well I see there are a few threads already on this -- how about just any advice on good archery shops in the Greensboro or Raleigh/Durham area? I would love to go somewhere and have a knowledgeable person teach me a few things (before selling me) and then being able to try a few out.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I bought one off craigslist....minimal investment and will let you decide if its for you or not. Me, not so much messed my shoulder up so I havent shot it in over a year.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Go to a reputable archery shop,get your draw length measured,shoot a few different bows and go from there...MJbrady has a shop in Sanford that is highly recommended.

derekorr1986

Six Pointer
Go to a reputable archery shop,get your draw length measured,shoot a few different bows and go from there...MJbrady has a shop in Sanford that is highly recommended.

good advice. MJBrady is a good guy. Even if you don't end up buying new you can find your draw length and maybe take away a few other things that can point you in a direction of what you want in a used bow.

Arrowhead

NC Hunter supply in Raleigh is a good outfit. They have a knowledgeable staff and an indoor range.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
yeah, going to an archery shop is your best bet. Often, budget comes into play. There are nice bows at all price levels, it just depends on what you are willing to pay want what features are important to you. I picked up a diamond bow when I was starting out ( still use it actually). It was light, quiet, affordable and its manually adjustable from 40-70 lbs with just a allen wrench, no need to go to a bowshop for adjustment. That was important because I started out drawing about 50lbs and worked my way up to about 65 lbs after only a few months of practice. I plan on passing this bow down so I can lower the weight to 40-50 pounds for my young sons when they start out. I personally liked bowtech and Elite bows, but couldnt afford them at the time so I went with the diamond.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Do you have a 29" draw length? If so, you can have as a gift my old Jennings bow. Early 2000's. Whisker biscuit, simple three pin site. I'll give a few arrows with it, too. It's yours anytime you are in the Calabash (Brunswick County) area. Just let me know. It's nothing fancy but might be all you need for yard relaxing.

My DL is 28" and I just couldn't group with a 29" DL bow. When I decided to truly bowhunt, I bought a Mathews No Cam HTR from Canadys in Wilmington. The bow I'm offering would be a nice stepping stone for you until you make that financial commitment on a real hunting rig.

Last edited:

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Jonathon Brown at Boneyard Archery in Summer field near PTI Airport. You will not get more individual attention. He likes to schedule people to give them that attention, but give him a call!